Costa Rica recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillNH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I will be in CR May 9th-16th for a week and was hoping to do 2 or 3 days of diving. I will be staying at the Andaz Hyatt Papgayo area.

I know that CR is not a top diving destination but I am going with a group of people that are non divers(long story) and I haven't dove for a while, got the itch !

The issue is that the distance from the Andaz Hyatt to the dive shops(Rocket Frog and others) is about a 45 minute drive, which would be an expensive taxi ride to get to the dive shop. I was told around $75-100 each way. This isn't feasible to do. I could rent a car and may look into that but that wouldn't be cheap either.

Seeing some of the recent reports on visibility etc.. I may rethink diving at all and do a proper trip to the Caribbean in the fall.

I am curious if others here on SB have dove CR staying at the Andaz and what worked for you ?

We loved diving in CR! We Dove Catalina Islands and my avatar was shot there. Head over to Flamingo...

Thanks Flyboy08

I was hoping to get some suggestions from folks who have stayed at the Andaz Hyatt and were dealing with the logistical issues I am facing with the distance to Cocos and the Dive shops.

Hi @BillNH

You're right, your accommodations are quiet remote, diving is not listed under activities.

My wife, daughter, and I enjoyed the diving in CR very much, We did 3 days of diving during a week visit and did Bat Islands, Catalinas Islands, and a couple of local dives. Highlights were mantas, Bull Sharks, Devil Rays, Whitetip Reef Sharks, turtles, eels, and many unfamiliar fish. In your position, I would likely have a rental car to provide me the flexibility. It would be a shame to miss the available diving, but you can't do everything

Hi @BillNH

You're right, your accommodations are quiet remote, diving is not listed under activities.

My wife, daughter, and I enjoyed the diving in CR very much, We did 3 days of diving during a week visit and did Bat Islands, Catalinas Islands, and a couple of local dives. Highlights were mantas, Bull Sharks, Devil Rays, Whitetip Reef Sharks, turtles, eels, and many unfamiliar fish. In your position, I would likely have a rental car to provide me the flexibility. It would be a shame to miss the available diving, but you can't do everything

Yes, the accommodations are 5 Star but not my choice ultimately. One of the dive shops will pick me up at the beach at the Andaz for $40 per day, which is steep considering that in Cozumel they will pick up at every resort for no charge. However, this is still a lot cheaper than renting a car or taking a taxi to town. They are saying that the visibility is 40-65 feet ? Sounds better than the 30 ft I read on another recent trip report.

Hmmm... I guess nobody is viewing the Central America forum these days ? lol

We've dove the Pacific side of Costa Rica twice, both times staying at what is now the Hilton Papagayo, so couldn't help you out with your resort questions.

Strongly recommend the diving, though, especially a trip out to Bat Island and the Big Scare.

Yes, the accommodations are 5 Star but not my choice ultimately. One of the dive shops will pick me up at the beach at the Andaz for $40 per day, which is steep considering that in Cozumel they will pick up at every resort for no charge. However, this is still a lot cheaper than renting a car or taking a taxi to town. They are saying that the visibility is 40-65 feet ? Sounds better than the 30 ft I read on another recent trip report.

Certainly better than not getting to dive. Which operation would pick you up, where do they go?

We've dove the Pacific side of Costa Rica twice, both times staying at what is now the Hilton Papagayo, so couldn't help you out with your resort questions.

Strongly recommend the diving, though, especially a trip out to Bat Island and the Big Scare.

I believe the Hilton Papagayo became Secrets in 2015.

We did Big Scare and Black Rock at Bat Islands, saw a manta and Bulls at Big Scare.

Okay, my wife makes all the arrangements, I just pack the dive gear. :cool:

Certainly better than not getting to dive. Which operation would pick you up, where do they go?

We did Big Scare and Black Rock at Bat Islands, saw a manta and Bulls at Big Scare.[/QUOTE

Rocket Frog. Not sure where they will be going on the days I am there. I haven't dove much in the last few years so I won't be too picky as long as I can get underwater :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom