Costa Rica Guanacaste in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strima77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be staying at the Marriott Guanacaste by Playa Mansita in late March. Anyone know of diver ops that will pick up there, how the local diving is, and is it a reasonable trip to the Catalina Isl. from there. Thanks.

The big dive shop in that area is Rich Coast Divers. I do not know if they pick up. A trip to Catalina Isla is not out of the question, but is not a daily happening and there needs to be enough divers to make it worthwhile. We stayed at Playa Ocotal and our trip to Catalina was the best diving of the trip, but we had current, surge, and chop all at the same time. I had to help tow my wife back to the boat in the current.

Rich Coast and Rocket Frog are the two big ops up there. Rocket Frog will pick you up, but cost will depend on where you're staying.

Please forgive the hijack but I have an opportunity to travel to Guanacaste at a discount November of 2016. But I have to decide soon. I know nothing about the area or diving there, especially at that time of year. So my questions are

1) Is this a good time to travel to Costa Rica and a good time to dive there?

2) What is the local diving like and what dives would you recommend?

Thank you.

Strima77
I'd suggest you select either PACIFIC COAST DIVE CENTER or ROCKET FROG DIVERS, they can take you to Catalina Islands. You can check the prices they offer here - Diving at Catalina Islands.

uncfnp
Diving in Guanacaste area is available year-round but the best time is from July to October.

Diving is very diverse, you may meet & see manta rays, stingrays, different corals, green jacks, damselfish, butterflyfish, spotted rose snappers, grunts, angelfish, triggerfish, parrotfish, turtles, whitetip sharks, eagle rays, lobsters and eels.

You can learn more about it here - Diving in Guanacaste.

Please forgive the hijack but I have an opportunity to travel to Guanacaste at a discount November of 2016. But I have to decide soon. I know nothing about the area or diving there, especially at that time of year. So my questions are

1) Is this a good time to travel to Costa Rica and a good time to dive there?

2) What is the local diving like and what dives would you recommend?

Thank you.

November is nice, start of high season and you can still do Bats and / or Cats depending on the winds, and the amount of divers there are willing to go. the rain usually ends that time of year, so everything top side will be nice and green. It is also the start of whale time and underwater we will see loads ofd different rays. :)
If you have more questions let us know

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 11:21 AM ----------

I will be staying at the Marriott Guanacaste by Playa Mansita in late March. Anyone know of diver ops that will pick up there, how the local diving is, and is it a reasonable trip to the Catalina Isl. from there. Thanks.

we will go to Catalinas to see the Manta rays and March might be a bit early in season, but it is still nature so you might get lucky?!
let us knwo if you have any questions. dive@richcoastdiving.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom