Costa Rica, Drake's Bay vs. Playa de Coco in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tjack

Contributor
Reaction score
Taos, New Mexico and Georgian Bay, Ontario
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello I am planning a dive trip to Costa Rica this May. I am debating between Drake's Bay and Cano island verses Playa de Coco and Bat Island. What would be the advantages of one or the other? My buddy and myself are advanced divers, and I am particularly interested in seeing big fish. Which location would be the best bet for Manta Rays in May? Also which end of the coast would have better topside activities? Hopefully someone out there has done both, any info would be greatly apreciated.

How about splitting the difference? Since PDC and Drake Bay are on opposite ends of the country perhaps you might consider staying in the Central Pacific region.

We are located in Quepos/Manuel Antonio, about three hours by car (or 20 minutes by air) from San Jose. Our dive sites range from local dives offshore of the Manuel Antonio National Park, the sea mount at Viente Seis, Ballena NP, Corcovado and trips out to Cano Island. There are a wide variety of lodging, dining and tour activities in one area, most everything is within an hour of town and the tour operators include pick up/drop off at your hotel.

Costa Rica Scuba Diving with Oceans Unlimited Costa Rica

Hey T.

I've been diving in Playa del Coco for 6 months now, but don't think that makes me have a biased decision. The best dive of my life was off the Cano islands about 3 months ago...

I live and work in Coco where we generally have rather poorer visibility in comparison to the Cano islands. I considered the marine life in Coco to be more abundant than what I saw in Drakes bay. Although much of it looked familiar I tend to see much more on any given day here in Coco than I did there and felt a little let down after all the hype, that was until the safety stop on the first dive.

While the local dive master was assisting a diver with his buoyancy myself and my girlfriend witnessed the silhouette of a humpback whale go off into the deep blue. We signaled to the others and kept an eye out for his return. After about 30 seconds he returned, no more than 5 feet from us. We could feel the current from his massive body push us back as he passed. Within 2 minutes his family joined and we saw the mother, and a small baby. They circled us until the very last of us were trying to squeeze the last remaining air from our tank.

Ok... amazing dive aside...the DM, Melvin had just opened his own dive shop called White Tip Divers in Drakes bay. He has only dove with the humpbacks twice in 15 years (this being the second). The shop was only a few months old and everything was new. Having grown up in Drakes Bay he was the epitome of the Pura Vida lifestyle. His wife prepared us a great lunch for our surface interval on the Cano islands that included sandwiches, 3 cold pasta salads, fruit, hard boiled eggs and so on. After the dive we hung out at Melvin's house/dive shop where we had some great coffee and a few cold beers. The service was 5 star but aside from the humpbacks, the diving was the same.

If I could make a recommendation it would be to base your trip on what else you want to do, and not just the diving (since it was pretty much the same). Drakes Bay is a very small and quaint town, good for relaxing and kickin' it with nature. Scarlett macaws fly overhead on a daily basis and it is truly an oasis away from the skyscrapers and harsh influence of mankind. Coco is more upbeat, there are more bars, restaurants and other attractions such as quads and seedoo rentals, fishing, canopy tours and so on. If you want to party a bit, its better to be in a beach town like coco than remote drakes bay.

To answer your question about the Manta's I can't speak for Drakes Bay, as it wasn't really the season for them when I was there and never asked. But in Coco we will be making trips to Catalina Islands (known worldwide for the Manta's) as well as Bat Islands for Bull sharks. The Bull sharks seem to be getting more and more rare as the years go by, but we will still be out there looking for them.

Let me know if you have any questions about specifics or want some tips with info on traveling around CR or anything of that sort.

-Brent

Hey Brent, great account of the Humpback encounter! I did come across White Tip Divers and am greatfull for the info on them. They sound way cool. So outside of the Humpback whales you feel that the diving at either place would be quite similar? Seems Playa del Coco would be a lot easier to get to and cheaper but potentialy the diving at Cano could be outstanding. Seems like diving prices are way high in Costa compared to most other places. Any way around that? Thanks for the good info.

I only dived in Coco, and I love it. but for the mantas you have to go to the Catalinas, however I heard they did see mantas on the local dives sometimes.
Catalina island trips are organized by all dive centers in coco, I used Rich Coast and have to say their boat was pretty good,and speedy. We saw 4 manta rays which made my day, besides that we also saw devil rays and many sting rays. Great dive trip!
Happy diving

Undoubtfully Isla del Caño is the second best Divespot in Costa Rica after Isla del Coco.

Chris Karrer

Sounds like Isla de Cano has the better diving. Better visibility and potential for outstanding diving. We are booked to stay in Drake Bay and dive Cano for 3 days then plan to head up to Playa del Coco. Hopefully I will be able to do a trip report comparing the two. Thanks for all the info folks, further sugestions and recomendations are wecome.

I lived in Drake Bay for two years and have never been to Coco's so can't really compare them at all. However, Drake Bay is an amazing place to go to. You feel like you're going back in time, no big developments, fast food joints, or big buildings. A truly beatiful place.
I've had some great diving experiences at Cano, one dive I saw a school of maybe 50 small mantas swimming by (unfortunately I don't remember what time of year), huge schools of fish, lots of white tip sharks, nudibranchs galor if you take the time to look.
Besides the island, Drake bay hotels also do trips to Corcovado National Park, which is a must see if you like Rainforests.
If you want a nicer hotel, more up scale and in town, I would recommend Aguila de Osa. For a more secluded vacation try Punta Marenco Lodge or Marenco....both up on a hill top, by far the best view in Drake Bay!
Good luck and happy bubbles!

Playa del coco, definitely! It is absolutely beautifull here. I did my open water and advanced course here and made a lot of dives. I did it with Rich Coast Diving, whom i really remmomend!! The staff and my dive instructor were very relax and calm in explaining me all the things you have to know. All the staff is very interested in the progress and help you wherever they can. The dives were amazing, sharks, rays, lot’s of fishes. It could not been better. The atmosphere on the boat was great, all the staff were so friendly and helpful. I’m really happy that my first dive experience was at Rich Coast Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom