Costa Maya Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10traveler10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any experience with the Costa Maya Reef Resort? The only post I find is from several years ago. Any current goods or bads? Thanks for advice. LB

Yes. I stayed there in January, but I did not dive with the local group there at the resort.

Overall, I was pleased with the resort less a few caveats. The people are absolutely amazing. We had nothing but a great experience with the staff whom did their best to make sure we were very happy. The food was outstanding - we did the majority of all our meals there. The grounds are beautiful and the biggest benefit is you're right off shore from Mexican Rock. We kayaked out and had a wonderful time snorkeling the area. Amazing marine life right there off shore! There's a lovely pool, bar area and a small store. The staff did a fantastic job arranging site seeing tours and other activities, and I enjoyed a massage on my last day (cheap!).

My complaints were the age and state of the facilities along with the location. The rooms need a bit of work to a lot of work. We moved from a smaller room to a larger and both needed repair. The smaller room had a bathroom in very bad condition. The furniture was definitely 1980/1990s vintage. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean, but the overall condition of the rooms could be much better. Our room had a kitchen area along with a refrigerator and stove. We did one trip to town for small groceries.

The resort is a good 20 minute ride to anywhere - you're definitely way out there. We dove with a place in San Pedro proper so every morning was an early wakeup call. Getting a water taxi is expensive and we had a few issues when we had a charter to haul 4 of us around - turned into a "you owe us more $$" situation and a threat to leave us in town. If you're one that enjoys the nightlife and being with large groups of people having a great time, probably not a good choice. Stay closer to town and enjoy the party. But, if you like the peace and quiet, a much slower pace, you'll be very happy.

Hope that helps.

Thiad, thanks you for the info. Trip Advisor comments ran the range from good to bad, also. I much appreciate. LB

Oh my goodness! i'm not doing a good job of getting the word around.
We have opened a new 5 star PADI dive shop at Costa Maya Reef resort!
May I give you some advice based on my experience with the operator who was there (Belize Academy of Diving) when I stayed at Costa Maya a number of years ago?

I was there in the summer, so it was off season. I have no complaints about the diving we did. The problem was that I wanted to dive every day, and BAD would only go out if they had a certain minimum number of divers. It being off season, they missed that number on a couple of occasions, and I would not know until I went down to the dive shop for the morning dive. "Sorry! Canceled! Not enough people!"

Being as remote as the place was, that pretty much eliminated my day's diving. They did not tell me that if I had contacted almost any of the operators in San Pedro, they would have sent a boat out to pick me up. I found that out later, and I was upset.

I think that they were afraid that if they got me on a boat with another operator at some point in the week, I would stay with that operator, and they would lose my business. They lost more than my business for the week, though, because I never went back, and I did not recommend them to others.

If you are in a situation where you cannot afford to send your eager customer out because you don't have a minimum number of divers, please, please, please have an arrangement with another shop to give that diver a dive. When people plan all year for a one week dive vacation, it really sucks not to get to dive.

Your 100% correct !
We're open at 7:30 am 7days a week and go out every day!
Today is a good example ,its the Sept. the pit of slow season and this morning just one guest wanted to go out. She had a great time!
We have a policy of never saying no because of too few, its just good business. Sometime ya make money and sometimes ya don't, it pays off in the long haul.
I'm hopping to work with the Hotel in developing a diver oriented resort.They are changing fast.
Over the years I've heard a comment repeated over and over by a large majority of divers they say, 'I want to spend my money on diving and not a fancy resort, I'm here to Dive!'
Costa Maya is working with me in developing packages that I think dive groups will appreciate and I'm gona hold up my end by being here to dive, everyday no matter how few!

Your 100% correct !
We're open at 7:30 am 7days a week and go out every day!
Today is a good example ,its the Sept. the pit of slow season and this morning just one guest wanted to go out. She had a great time!
We have a policy of never saying no because of too few, its just good business. Sometime ya make money and sometimes ya don't, it pays off in the long haul.
I'm hopping to work with the Hotel in developing a diver oriented resort.They are changing fast.
Over the years I've heard a comment repeated over and over by a large majority of divers they say, 'I want to spend my money on diving and not a fancy resort, I'm here to Dive!'
Costa Maya is working with me in developing packages that I think dive groups will appreciate and I'm gona hold up my end by being here to dive, everyday no matter how few!
Glad to hear it--I wish you well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom