Cost differences on Tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I resently went in to a LDS and was looking at tanks. They were selling AL80's for $50 more than other shops within a days drive. When I asked why their's were more I was informed that the valves were better and that anytime I saved money on tanks that the quality of the valve was were the price difference was.

This sounds some what questionable to say the least but I wanted to ask the resident experts.

Am I right or am I mistaken?

Chad

I would find out what kind of valve makes a $50 difference. I have looked at tanks online and in dive shops and there is a difference. A tank is not something that I think you benefit substantially by buying at an LDS. But I did get mine there cause the price was so good since the tank had been gathering dust anyway.

But I would question the price due to the valve. Unless they have a high pressure valve that can handle 5000 psi or something?

But hey I am not an expert, just a dude who loves to dive. And if I am ever in your neck of the woods we'll have to go for sure!

Chad,

I can't answer your question, but one thing to consider when buying tanks is that many dive shops will throw in several free fills if you buy a thnk from them, especially if it is pricier steel tank (although you may have to negotiate this). This might be something to consider before making a 2 hour trek just to save $50.

You can be sure that no free fills will come with a tank bought somewhere else.
On the other hand, as for the valve, (I assume we're talking "K" valves in all cases here) the lower quality valve will probably last only 30 - 50 years or so and still turn on when roatated counterclockwise and turn off when rotated clockwise. Whoever is telling you there's a $50 difference in valves is either lying, ill informed or been had by the valve salesman big time.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
the lower quality valve will probably last only 30 - 50 years or so
Rick

Shoot by then maybe the AARP will include 10 free air fills a year as part of my "Super Gerital" package.

The problem with diving in 50 years will I won't be able to tell the water wrinkles from the real wrinkles....

Thanks that is what I expected to hear. I have very limited experience with valves from a previous job and I couldn't see how it could cause that big of a difference in price.

I knew I could count on you guys for the answer.

Chad

A simple plain K-valve goes for about $15-20 wholesale... Turn the valve one way air comes out, turn it the other way, it shuts off. There are actually 2 levels of these - one that is O2 compatiable and one that is not - don't shoot! These are recommendations of the mfg. - the one that does not generally have sharp 90 deg turns, which is not very good for an O2 environment, just fill them VERY slow - different topic.

Then there is a modified K-Valve - wholesales between $45-55. These are set up to be able to build a set of doubles, or as a second reg set-up off of it, aother $45-55 for that piece (total $90-110)

There is also a Y-Valve and an H-Valve, if I recall. Doubt that is on the tank.

Yes, a valve can cost $50, but it's going to be special!

-Jay

Thanks Jay,

The one in question appeared to be a plain ole K valve. But I don't know if it was for O2 or not. Definately didn't look like it was set up for doubles.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom