Cortisone Injections and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:wink:I have searched and found no links with this question. My Doctor wants me to try cortisone injections in my knees to help with osteoarthritis. I have not had success in the past with these types of injections in treating two other injuries so not sure I like the idea now. I know your kidneys have to "clean this stuff out of your system" Considering the work your kidneys do with diving.... does this create a greater risk or me? How long would it take to clear out of my system? Would I be advised not to dive in this time frame?

Frankly I would rather continue to deal with the pain than curtail my diving and/or compromise my kidneys!

Anyone out there with the background to answer these questions

I am a somewhat overweight 58 female non smoker, non drinker. I try to do one dive weekly normal length 90 min average depth 10m

Hi bowlofpetunias,

Given that you tolerate the injections well, which you will know quite quickly, there is no reason to anticipate any adverse effect on or from recreational SCUBA solely as a result of this treatment.

BTW, cortisone injections into a joint are quite a different matter than taking this drug systemically (i.e., oral or injected directly into blood circulation). A very small amount of cortisone from such injections will reach the liver and kidneys, but given that these organs are healthy and functioning properly the likelihood of any meaningful adverse reaction is extremely small.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

What Doc said.

Your kidneys don't "work" any harder when you are diving. You make more urine, for sure, but that isn't "work" for the kidneys, and it doesn't hurt them. As Doc has already said, the systemic dose of steroids from a joint injection is extremely low. I hope it helps you!

Hello bowlofpetunias:

Only if you were to get an amount of cortisone that caused tissue swelling would there be a possible problem. There would be a question of limitations with dissolved nitrogen exchange in some tissues.

This is not the case with you, however.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2008 is November 15 - 16.
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
Advanced Decompression Physiology Seminar Information

:blinking: Thanks for the information everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom