cortisone injection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul madox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
any one know if you can dive if you have a cortisone injection for tennis elbow???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to Paul Madox, and sort of to Dkktsunami, but not as bad as you'd think -- they include an anesthetic in the mix, so what really is bothersome is the pressure of the liquid going into the joint, which isn't painful so much as uncomfortable.

You mean cortisone, a corticosteroid injected to alleviate inflammation and swelling. You may also use it topically to relieve itching or other allergic response. It is indeed mixed with lidocaine, an anesthetic, not so much to alleviate the discomfort of the injection as to let the doctor know he injected it into the right place. At least that's what the doctor told me during one of my many injections for various sports-related injuries.

I've had both elbows injected at different and several times. Luckily, my doctor is a master at giving this shot and it hasn't hurt either on injection or afterwards. It takes some time for this to have any effect on the joint so don't expect any instantaneous healings. I have gone diving right afterwards getting the shots with no problems.

There is nothing about the injection that precludes diving. However, the problem is usually an overuse type of injury, which means that lifting and moving heavy gear is not the greatest idea when you are trying to get it to heal. Most of the time, the doctor will advise as much rest as possible to any part affected by a tendonitis-like problem.

If you can get somebody else to do all the gear moving, the diving itself shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom