Corrosion of the D06 dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having a problem with corrosion of the D06 light after it's left in a fresh water rinse tank. I first noticed it very soon after buying it and sent a note with a photo to Xtardirect.com but got no response. It seems to happen only when turned off (with twisty and the slider both) and on soaking in fresh water. I'm attaching photos.
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG

There is a YouTube video of a related problem:

It seems the problem is this: the aluminum tube is part of the circuit in this light and when the light is turned off with the twisty and immersed in water, currents flow from any scratched area of the tube through the water to the light. The currents are enough to cause galvanic corrosion of the aluminum. If the light is immersed in salt water and turned off with the twisty the current is large enough to turn the light on as shown in the video above.

The bottom line is this light should not be immersed in water when turned off with the twisty. If it's left like this long enough it will corrode out.

This should be mentioned in the user manual.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom