Corrosion First stage inlet filter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have checked with the Mares agent here. They have said cleaning the filter as I did is okay, but just keep an eye on performance. I have taken off all the hoses and there is no sign of salt water. I have looked into it from other guys and cleaning a filter is fine. It is simple to remove and insert again with a circlip. The circlip gets a bit bent in the removal even if careful, but is just there to prevent the filter from falling out. One or two scratches on the filter though. I have pressured it up and it is working fine. I do not think it is a major issue to clean in between service cycles.

Finished job.

311b475b564ec55d401eb275ce878cc6.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Which side of the circlip is facing up, the flat or rounded side?

I would think brass cleaner would totally destroy block the filter. You need something mildly acidic.
I remembered I had some Copper Glo in the garage and an old unused filter that I wasn't entirely happy with after a vinegar bath. So I decided to try it. Left the filter in the solution less then a minute. Brightened it a bit but not sure it gave me much beyond the vinegar. Certainly didn't seem to harm it in any way. May try a longer bath just to see what happens.

Does anybody know an online seller of these filters? Would like to keep one or two spare. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I recently serviced my 12s and now have a similar issue. To the OP, if you don't have an IP gauge, get one. I check mine for creep prior to leaving my GDS [Garage Dive Shop] for a dive.

@67maco, I don't think that is the right size. When I serviced mine, I cleaned with vinegar as my parts kit was diy and did not locate an appropriate filter. Please keep us posted.

The DIY section here is awesome, but I didn't find an answer the filter question.

Another vote for calling Northeast Scuba Supply. I have not checked recently, but I have ordered service kits for the MR-22 and MR-12 from them in the past.

And as mentioned above, the Aqualung SEA/Cousteau might use the same filter, and appears to be the correct HP poppet... and the service kits for the Conshelf and Titan can for the most part be used with the Mares MR-22 and MR-12 (except for MR-22 filter).

Best wishes

The filter costs only a few bucks... if you can find it.
I've had pretty good success by soaking it in vinegar and cooking it in an ultrasonic cleaning; if you have the gear, it's worth a try. It's usually made of stainless steel, so it can take quite some abuse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom