Corrective lenses for scuba mask, lost.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Ed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I had corrective lenses put in my scuba mask. Prior to the 2nd use of my mask, I cleaned the interior of the mask with abrasive toothpaste. Before applying toothpaste I noticed the right side lens was not anchored and slid precariously wherever the water took it. Both lenses were lost and were not covered by warranty so I will buy new lenses from my personal optician who seems to have better grasp on corrective lenses for scuba masks, than my experience with the dive shop.

I have an Oceanic ProPlus 4 dive computer that is difficult for me to read. I'm considering replacing the computer console with a wrist computer model, but there are so many to choose from I can't make up my mind.

Strongly recommend the Shearwater Peregrine. Easy to ready, colorful, large display. Around $500. Don’t look for Black Friday deals as sales don’t happen on Shearwater.

I’m using a scubapro D mask, expensive but they have a wide variety of lens available, the stick on readers work fine but the supplied glue doesn’t hold well. When I was using standard masks, even those with removable lens (easy change but no options available) I glued them in with clear silicone. The D mask is great and you can get the + or - lens right from SP.

a brighter computer helps a lot.

I've done glued inserts, I've done the mask maker off the shelf corrective lenses, and I've done SeaVision USA's own skirt and custom ground lenses.

Can't say enough good things about SeaVision. Best vision I've had and the skirts are more than comparable to the majors.

I wear multi focal contacts when I'm diving. They're like bi focal glasses and are a whole lot cheaper than a new computer.

If you buy a mask with lenses of this shape and size from any brand

Scubapro-Zoom-Evo-Mask-All-Colours.jpg

you can buy and install cheaply, lenses as your eyesight deteriorates

Tusa has these lenses available
Scubapro also has these lenses

dx-401400_1_2.jpg

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I use a Tulsa Paragon mask. I'm curious has anyone had to have a special eye exam for scuba diving? My optometrist insists I must have a new eye exam even though my eye prescription is up to date. All I did for the previous corrective lens insert was present my eye prescription to the dive shop who had them made.

I wonder if it is just a way to make more money by insisting I need another eye exam?

I use a Tulsa Paragon mask. I'm curious has anyone had to have a special eye exam for scuba diving? My optometrist insists I must have a new eye exam even though my eye prescription is up to date. All I did for the previous corrective lens insert was present my eye prescription to the dive shop who had them made.

I wonder if it is just a way to make more money by insisting I need another eye exam?
Yes it is. Most countries don’t even have optometrists. They have opticians.

I had my eye appointment a moment ago. I had to leave my mask because the optician was not familiar with how to put corrective lenses in them as my mask does not have pockets to insert the lenses. Hopefully they will figure something out?

In the interim, if you have a pair of glasses that you can take underwater, you can hold them in front of your mask. I wouldn't recommend going through a whole dive like that, but you can certainly read your computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom