Correct tool to remove valve insert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the correct tool to remove the insert from a Faber blue steel 10120 convertible valve?

The insert has a really strange tool hole where it is not perfectly flat sided like hex but also not deeply lobed like torx.

6mm hex fits pretty well, but also so does torx T40. Obviously I do not want to use the wrong tool and strip the tool hole because then basically the whole valve assembly has to be taken off and replaced.

They are usually hex in my experience.

Hex Keys are the norm, although every insert seems to require a different size. I wish they would standarise. The valves are pretty robust I had to chisel out an insert on my friends tanks - when the hex had rounded out ( chisel placed in the hex hole and tap the insert round). No damage to the valve itself. Although I'm Din I always carry spare inserts and a key in case someone might need a tank loan

I've got the same ones. The machining is poor (sloppy) and makes the hole look weird. A 6mm Allen key seems to work best but does have some slight play. I only use DIN regs so it's really a one time concern for me. I keep a few for travel, just in case I need them for a random fill, but have not had to use them yet.

The inserts are interchangeable between brands. If yours become troublesome post looking for a few. Most Tech divers have a bunch laying around (if they can remember where they threw them).

I keep a couple in my tool box I thought I was smart until I realized they were both different hex sizes.

but if you have one of each, then you likely have the one with you that matches the key..... :D

I have a full set both SAE and metric in my toolbox so I was covered and got my fill just felt a little funny needing two different wrenches

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom