Correct Specification for Reader Mask Lens???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Should the focal distance of a 1.75 diopter pair of cheater glasses have the same focal distance as a 1.75 diopter reader mask (in water)? If not the same, what reader mask diopter correction would be needed?

I’m confused, my street glasses have a reader correction of +1.75 diopters. I bought a DGX REN mask with 3.00 reader lenses, and I have found the underwater focus distance is about the same as my 1.75 diopter street glasses.

I would like to be able to read my gauges and camera at about 8 to 9 inches, not their present 15 to 18 inches that I’m currently experiencing with my DGX 3.00 spec reader mask. Could my DGX mask have a much lower actual diopter rating than its 3.00 rating? Or what do I need?

Any input or assistance in selecting/specifying a new reader mask with focus distance of 8 to 9 inches would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Should the focal distance of a 1.75 diopter pair of cheater glasses have the same focal distance as a 1.75 diopter reader mask (in water)? If not the same, what reader mask diopter correction would be needed?

I’m confused, my street glasses have a reader correction of +1.75 diopters. I bought a DGX REN mask with 3.00 reader lenses, and I have found the underwater focus distance is about the same as my 1.75 diopter street glasses.

I would like to be able to read my gauges and camera at about 8 to 9 inches, not their present 15 to 18 inches that I’m currently experiencing with my DGX 3.00 spec reader mask. Could my DGX mask have a much lower actual diopter rating than its 3.00 rating? Or what do I need?

Any input or assistance in selecting/specifying a new reader mask with focus distance of 8 to 9 inches would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!
There are three factors that make reading glasses different from mask bifocal: looking through water, distance from the eye and distance to the gauge being much less than reading a book. My experience is that I need much more correction in a mask bifocal than my reading glasses because we read our gauges very close. So I usually read with +2.5 diopter on land but my optimal mask bifocal is +3.5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom