Correct neck seal size for neoprene drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I find I get a lot of water inside my drysuit - if I'm wearing a T-shirt the whole front is generally soaked after a couple of dives. I've had the front seal redone and can't find any leaks there anyway so I guess the water must be coming in at the neck, although I don't really feel it.

How big should the neck be as a ratio to your neck size with a neoprene seal? If anyone with a perfect water tight neoprene seal could post their neck size and neck seal size that would be helpful.

And yes, before any one suggests it, I am double folding the seal inwards at the top :)

Are you folding it over ? J/K :wink:

Is the dive shop helping you with the sizing. They really should. I had a neoprene and it only occasional leaked at the neck.

Not to point out the obvious, but I would sweat like crazy if I dove with a cotton t-shirt. Some other things to be sure....folding neck deal....hood on the outside of the drysuit neck seal....etc. You may also just have the wrong size too. I have never had a leak in my neoprene drysuit.

--Matt

One thing that was pointed out to me at a diveshop is you will get a better neck seal with super strech neoprene on the neck vs having to fold it over. Might me something to look at getting changed if you are having a good deal of issues.

When I make a new drysuit or replace a seal, I always decrease the neck size by 10%. Knowing that the material stretches, the first time it needs to be taken in I do at no charge. When I take that seal in, it usually needs another inch taken in.

Cricket

Back
Top Bottom