Correct Lens Cleaning.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavemanxxx

Reaction score
Was looking for a Fish eye angle lens ( Sigma 15mm and Nikon 16mm ) last Saturday, and when I noticed there was some imperfections on the lens coating, they took to it with a blower thing-y. They could not get it off, so as a "last resort" they took to it with a cotton bud with lens cleaner, and tried to clean it that way.

But they refused to use a lens cloth !

Can anyone tell me the correct way to clean lens ? Obviously the lens shop dont like physical contact with it

I won't use those lens cleaning papers on lenses either! I ruined a 28-80mm years ago out of ignorance. I was sold a lens cleaning kit complete with solution and papers. After several years of religiously cleaning that lens after every use, you could hold it to the light and see circular surface scratches, the exact pattern I used when cleaning and polishing it.

I now use those micro-pore fabric lens cloths only.

Hark,

There are many of lens made of inferior construction and those made good. Plastic lens is the bane of lens while good quality glass is the sign of good quality.

If you have a low quality, often consumer, grade lens of plastic then you will have a cleaning problem. However, if you have professional quality glass then it's easier cleaned. This is why the pro lens are so expensive. If you have good quality glass then you haqve nothing to fear.

Ed

Micro pore lens cloth. I ahve not seen them yet. Will try to find some ( any brands ). The Nikon 16mm fish eye I would classify as a serious lens, but what about the coating. Will it scratch. We all spend tons of money on lenses, and proper care is I think of essence to maintain their quality

Hello,

Goto a local camera store and get some of their lens cleaning solution or goto a department store and get some eye glass solution. Eyeglasses typicaly have a coating on them and should work on most of the el cheapo lens that use plastic instead of quality glass.

Ed

Oooh... my first post here!

Lens cleaning is a topic of some debate in the photographic community. I'll try to qualify what I know for certain vs. what I think.

As blacknet points out, cheaper lenses will have far less durability in cleaning either due to lower quality multicoating on the lens, and lower quality construction, though plastic in the optical portion of a lens is a rarity in SLR lenses, though quite common in point and shoot cameras.
One thing you should do is clean the lens in concentric circles starting from the outer edge and working towards the center.

Microfiber lens cloths are the best. Avoid lens paper if you can, though its better than a shirt, which you should not use. NEVER use toilet paper, kleenex, or paper towels. Try and use a compressed gas airduster or a camelhairbrushblower to clean the lens first. If this doesn't work or if there is smudging, I usually try just breathing on the lens and cleaning with a microfiber lens cloth, which I will moisten with water if necessary. Only when the lens has serious oil do i use a cleaning solution. You should apply the solution to the cloth rather than directly to the lens. Always use the airblower/brush first before wiping to prevent dust from being rubbed around and scratching the coating.

The anti-reflective (AR) coating is usually what gets scratched, rarely the glass (although if you have plastic that will scratch easily, as blacknet already noted).

Conventional wisdom says don't over clean your lens. Don't clean when it's not necessary. AR coatings are much more durable than when they first appeared, but you do hear stories about people who clean their lenses daily and end up with the coating scratched or coming off over time.

I would probably buy a photographic lens cleaner rather than one from a shop (I can't remember, but i think the trick is to remember to avoid anything with ammonia in it, but I might have that backwards), although the really good one that Sunglass Hut might be OK (i dont know) because its used on Oakleys, which have really weak coating, but that's for looks, not AR, so the fluid might hurt lens AR coatings. RoR is a popular lens cleaner and gets rave reviews. I used it several times but found it always left streaks.

If you want the best microfiber cloths ever, buy a Microdear cloth (it's so popular in Europe and was so requested in the USA, that Adorama specially imports them):

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=details&sid=103869598926035234&sku=CPCML

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=details&sid=103869598926035234&sku=CPCMS

I have one and I can tell you they are worlds better than the $6 at the local camera shop. So buy a filter or some film from Adorama and have a lens cloth thrown in. Caveat on film orders from Adorama: they sent me short dated film, though they agreed to take it back.

Your ther Hero !.

Thanks a million, and I have now more confidence in cleaning my lens. With regards to where to get the micro fiber cloth here in Thailand, well, I better do some hunting. Have not seen any yet.

Can always get through imports via the web if not here

Again, thanks for your time, and I am sure that your write up will help people with lenses and are not sure on the right care.

Back
Top Bottom