Coronavirus Impact on Local Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have amassed a ridiculous amount of vacation time, and I'm also in the black on vacation budget, so I decided to take a tech course. I'll probably do more, since this really is a golden opportunity that won't last forever...... Hopefully??

I have amassed a ridiculous amount of vacation time, and I'm also in the black on vacation budget, so I decided to take a tech course. I'll probably do more, since this really is a golden opportunity that won't last forever...... Hopefully??
Funny because I have had the same thoughts about it being a great time to go do cave intro or some other tech dive training. Don't really have the vacation time but even taking unpaid time off is a consideration right now.

AFAIK all the shops in my area survived. Since the state has been open for business quite a while now, tourist oriented businesses all seem slammed. I remember calling my favorite shop shortly after the lock down to throw him some business by getting ALL of my gear serviced (10 tanks 6 regs etc). He told me there was a long long line of people ahead of me. Apparently everyone had the same idea.

My favorite bar on Indian Rocks Beach however, did not survive. RIP, Red Lion Pub.

My LDS is still operating with reduced hours, but they seem to be pretty busy. Local boats are all supposedly running at reduced capacity, although some haven't reduced much and are still really crowded. I'm surprised they haven't raised their prices; I'd certainly be willing to pay more, but I guess they figure not enough people would. I've doubled my crew tip anyway.

I'm sure the impact is very uneven. I would normally never pay the extra money for a private dive tour, but lately that is my preference. So a boutique shop is probably well positioned.

Similarly, places with local cold water diving are probably doing pretty well. Suddenly the local quarry seems more interesting than risking infection.

I feel really sorry for the big shops in resort destinations. Who is going to travel somewhere far away and get on a boat with 30 other divers? (I am not making a political point here, this impact would be profound regardless of government restrictions.) The folks who post on Scubaboard are not typically the ones on those boats, but I'm sure it constitutes the majority of the industry.
I disagree, I think the majority of people on scubaboard ARE the ones who travel and are on those boats. All I ever hear about is Cozumel and other travel spots like Galapagos and Indonesia.
Local divers seem to be the minority around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom