Coral Reef Loss Due to Climate Change Could Cost $1 Trillion Worldwide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
The loss of the Great Barrier Reef alone could cause the loss of 10,000 jobs, 1 million visitors, and $1 billion. Worldwide coral reefs support 500 million people from 50 countries. Over the next 2 to 3 decades, bleaching events are expected to become more frequent and severe. Scientists say that the only way to protect the reefs is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions globally. Check out number 5 to read more

2D33369000000578-3264637-image-a-11_1444317084693.jpg

I am sure the human cost is even greater. We are in the middle of a great catastrophe but many people will say I am being hyperbolic.

I am sure the human cost is even greater. We are in the middle of a great catastrophe but many people will say I am being hyperbolic.

I would be one of them.

I don't see any catastrophe. Just a few difficult to attribute things here and there and none in my neck of the woods.

Still, looking forward to summer weather so I can ride by bike instead of driving the car; do my part.

This is why environmental conversations go nowhere. When the human side of the equation is reported, there is still the faction that writes it off as just happening "here and there and not in my neck of the woods". Since it isn't happening to you directly, it may as well not be happening at all.

This is why environmental conversations go nowhere. When the human side of the equation is reported, there is still the faction that writes it off as just happening "here and there and not in my neck of the woods". Since it isn't happening to you directly, it may as well not be happening at all.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean really, what am I supposed to do anyway? What is anyone supposed to do? Pollute less. Fine. I'm doing the best I can. This is the small picture. For the average Joe to pollute less, he needs an electric car. I can't afford one. Can you? Aside from that, everyone where I live recycles, public transport is very popular and packed, most people drive small cars, and are generally responsible. I don't know what is going on in China, India, Africa, etc., but in my "neck of the woods" people are not environmental as$holes, and as I mentioned, there isn't even any climate change to be seen, at all.

For the big picture, if governments really want to do something to avert this alleged impending "catastrophe", they can take all the carbon taxes they are taking out of our pockets and put them back from whence they came in the form of credits towards the purchase of electric vehicles. Crickets. And then there is of course the monsterous elephant in the room of overpopulation, which is really the root cause, if there is one. More crickets. I see urban sprawl and traffic jams everywhere. That has to stop, and there is really only one way.

Until the powers that be actually do something, I mean really, not just fly all over the planet to get together and talk, publish papers, collect taxes, and accumulate debt, I am not on board. Until they start subsidizing electric vehicles and initiating population caps and measures towards reducing the population through credits for small families and charges for large ones, I am wholeheartedly in the opposition. Until I see the environment really start to change, I mean visibly, tangibly, I will also be very skeptical and resistant to the whole thing.

So there's coral bleaching. And what precisely am I supposed to do about that? Give more of my money to the third world while crippling our economies? The whole thing stinks. Shaky premise, shoddy evidence, lousy solutions, and a very high probability of nefarious ulterior political motives.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom