coral bleaching near Pattaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the responses. And although it's sad to hear that so much of the coral is "damaged" by snorkelers and the like- not all snorkelers are careless! myself being one...I care very much about the environment. It's not that I want to see just any old "damaged"coral - but specifically that which was bleached due to the higher water temperatures as I am doing a larger project on landscapes that are being affected by changes in the climate. It seems that enough time has passed that I would not find examples of what the bleached coral looks like.

If anyone else has an idea of where I could see this - and not just snorkeling off the beaches of Pattaya - I would be willing to go out to a farther island, Please do chime in.

Thanks!

Koh Sichang which is off the coast from Siracha, I assume was affected by the coral bleaching incident a couple of years ago as it was one of the places closed to divers at the time.
This place is not frequently dived but there was a dive operator in the past that I heard about.
Maybe the att'd link might be a usefull contact to get more specific information on the area. Outdoor activities on Ko-Sichang: SCUBA diving

@camstar415, happily for us, there isn't much going on in terms of coral bleaching at present. You can check the NOAA Coral Bleaching project for colour-coded maps showing the "hotspots" both currently and historically. For a current "snapshot" look here:
Current Operational Coral Bleaching HotSpots - Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution

For July 2010, the map showed a much more severe problem:
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/cb/hotspots/2010/hotspote.7.1.2010.gif

Somehow I forgot to click on your links the other day. But these are very informational - and good for me to know about to keep an eye on bleaching incidents worldwide. Gotta love NOAA! Thanks again!

It certainly is very good to hear that many of the reefs in Thailand have recovered from bleaching, hopefully a sign for the future.

Thanks all. I decided not to go looking given all the information I'd gotten. I am in Hong Kong now so can't go even if I wanted to!

Merci!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom