copyright sign and name on pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone knows a tip for protecting the copyrights on pictures we put on Scubaboard, photobucket, facebook and so on?

Any simple freeware that could do that for a photoshoping illiterate like me?

Thanks

Picasa has that function.
It allows you to keep your pics organized on your computer (like iPhoto), to upload folders of pictures on the dedicated Picasa website to share with family, friends, everyone on the Internet or nobody (your choice), makes it easy to upload pics on Facebook, creates mosaics and slide shows and offers basic but useful editing/picture enhancing functions as well (contrast, cropping, black&white, anti-red eye&#8230:wink:.
Best of all : it's FREE.

I use photshop elements and there is a text tool that you can use to put a line or lines of text right on the photo. In Windows live photo gallery there is a tag and caption button that says if you use it when you send or share the image the tag will be downloaded with it. Best I could come up with in a few minutes. Element is cheap, I paid 79 bucks for it and if you can use windows a little playing around will get you pretty comfy with it. Made lots of mistakes but that is how you learn.

Watermarking your photos is great, and I do it on most every photo I put on the internet.

However you need to READ THE FINE PRINT. When you upload to almost any 'free' service you are GIVING them rights to your work. You will then both have rights to sell your photos. So if your photos are heavily watermarked, then it is not likely they will be able to sell them. And then someone interested would read the watermark and then get hold of you for licensing or purchase.

If you want to retain your rights, READ the fine print in the agreement. After reading it, you may decide it is worth paying $13 per year for your own site.

One note I learned the hard way. I accidentally got some very goog video at a race. Because it ended a huge controversy I heavily watermarked it and put it on the internet . Then I learned that because it was on the internet at all, no publisher is interested in buying or licensing it. Doh!

I have Photoshop, but mainly use it to adjust color levels, which can't be done effectively with Picasa, especially for UW pics.

However, if all the OP wants is to put a © with his name on his photos, I wouldn't recommand buying a software just for that.

Creating a watermark is fairly easy and there are several ways to do it.

For me, I just create a text layer in photoshop. I put whatever I want (usually in white colour, any font), then emboss it and reduce the opacity to about 25%. I save this file then I can just open it up and drag and drop the watermark to any photo I want. Pretty simple.

Anyone knows a tip for protecting the copyrights on pictures we put on Scubaboard, photobucket, facebook and so on?

Any simple freeware that could do that for a photoshoping illiterate like me?

Thanks

Unless you want to completely disfigure the picture with a watermark across the main part of the image, putting a copyright line on a photo to protect your photos is like trying to protect your house by putting an alarm company sticker in the window.

:shocked2:

The only way to protect your IP rights is to NOT post your pictures on the web, or to have the time/inclination/money to legally enforce a copyright claim against someone who uses your image.

Simply slapping "©" on something does nothing.

thanks for all the info. Yep, the keyword I should have used is batch processing since I'm pretty lazy and dont usually photoshop my pictures. I'll try some of your options including the watermark.

Unless you want to completely disfigure the picture with a watermark across the main part of the image, putting a copyright line on a photo to protect your photos is like trying to protect your house by putting an alarm company sticker in the window.

:shocked2:

The only way to protect your IP rights is to NOT post your pictures on the web, or to have the time/inclination/money to legally enforce a copyright claim against someone who uses your image.

Simply slapping "©" on something does nothing.

hum, here's food for tought. I think that i'll simply reduce the resolution of what I post so that it's still nice to share but useless to use otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom