Copenhagen by shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I have searched the threads and did find a little info but not really enough to answer my question(s). I am early planning my annual Florida trip and thought to dive this by shore entry. I know it is a good swim and it is possible I might reconsider now with my advanced age of 61 :wink:.

But, in the event I decide to give it a go, what is the best place to enter the water? What is the best place to park and alternates for parking my rental vehicle?

I am also considering the Pompano Drop Off from shore and of course I plan to dive the Datura entry at Commercial Boulevard and probably the BHB. I am fairly familiar with the later two. I have swam to the 60 foot drop from Datura several times and used my kayak there. Alas, I will have no provisions for kayak assisted shore diving this trip.

Any other (and updated) information regarding these and similar shore dives would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and everyone have a great Memorial Day and thank you veterans for your service.

N (James)

I have been out to the Copenhagen numerous times from shore.
I started going out there in the late 70's.
The best place to hit this wreck from,
is the north parking lot at the Sea Watch Restaurant.
Gold Coast SCUBA (Gold Coast Scuba - Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida) in "LBTS", intermittently sponsors dives to the wreck from this parking lot.
Typically a morning dive followed by a lunch at the restaurant.
lunch there will set you back about $10-$20, with a drink and a nice tip to your server.
Considering that parking is free at the restaurant, the food is good, the view spectacular,
and the company of other divers most enjoyable, it is a GREAT DEAL!
Send me a pm if any other questions.

Chug
Expert at finding "Copenhagen Coal".

I have been out to the Copenhagen numerous times from shore.
I started going out there in the late 70's.
The best place to hit this wreck from,
is the north parking lot at the Sea Watch Restaurant.
Gold Coast SCUBA (Gold Coast Scuba - Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida) in "LBTS", intermittently sponsors dives to the wreck from this parking lot.
Typically a morning dive followed by a lunch at the restaurant.
lunch there will set you back about $10-$20, with a drink and a nice tip to your server.
Considering that parking is free at the restaurant, the food is good, the view spectacular,
and the company of other divers most enjoyable, it is a GREAT DEAL!
Send me a pm if any other questions.

Chug
Expert at finding "Copenhagen Coal".

I'm interested in diving this wreck and/or the Staghorn field nearby but have not found a way to access that area (no public parking nearby). Do you have to check with the restaurant to let you park there or go through Gold Coast Scuba? How does that work?

Yeah, me too, just have no idea how to access it and park vehicle. It is nice a local shop dives it icasionally but that will not work for non locals.

N

i'm sure gold coast will set up the dive if it is requested by enough divers...check with them.

Is one enough? I am solo. Is there any parking in the area for beach access to the copenhagen?

Thanks,
James

your best parking is at the sea watch restaurant.....as long as you eat lunch or dinner there they will let you park for diving...on the north side of the parking lot is the beach access walkway.

Last edited:
It is all shallow enough to free dive. A fun run that I started doing decades back in good conditions is to go out with a north or no current day off one of the three streets south of the Commercial Fishing Pier. There is lots of parking and public access down there. Head out over all the reefs, past the shallower east facing ledge of the inner second reef to the outer second reef. There are east, west facing ledges and large "pothole" rock features out there plus it is where the mooring balls are. Then I would swim north along the interesting reefs of the outer second reef. The outer second reef fizzles out eventually around the area off the Sea Watch and the wreck of the Copanhagen. The inner reef trends NNE and you find that you have come into the area of the twin ledges (in that area) of the inner second reef and the Copanhagen. There are some major staghorn accumulations west of the flat of the inner second reef there. I usually walk back the rough 1.3 miles at that point, along the beach if I'm not in a hurry and the sand dense enough otherwise via the sidewalk along A1A.

I just put together an article about the dive with an annotated aerial image of reef features, distances and the like at: Dive Spot - Free Diving Circuit North of Commerical Pier - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

NB - You want to be careful about boat traffic, conditions and dive within your abilities of course. More about all that in the article.

Copanhagen%20Circuit%202%20%20pe%20chart%20%20rs.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom