Cook Islands - any rec not experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russjstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Not sure if I am doing something wrong with the search engine, but I cannot find any mention of the Cook Islands. We are looking at a week or so there in July and wonder if anyone has any recent experience, that they can tell us about please.

Thanks in advance for your time

Never heard of it as a dive destination. Surfing and holiday making yes, but not diving.
I can't see why it would not have some diving, possibly great diving. I imagine the viz is excellent.

I'm sorry but I don't have recent experience but had a very enjoyable dive vacation there a number of years ago.

I wonder if Rarotonga is the place to dive or Aitutaki. Any suggestion?

Hi ChillyinCanada,
Anything you could tell me would be appreciated, even if it is not current. TripAdvisor seems full of enthusiastic reviews from people that learnt to dive there. Dive Rarotonga seems to be the only operator I can find.

Cheers

There are dive operators on both Rarotonga and Aitutaki, airport on both islands. I have emailed both operators for more info

Hi ChillyinCanada,
Anything you could tell me would be appreciated, even if it is not current. TripAdvisor seems full of enthusiastic reviews from people that learnt to dive there. Dive Rarotonga seems to be the only operator I can find.

Cheers

The water clarity is what really stays with me. We saw white tips on many dives though I believe that the numbers may have declined.

I found the different formations on the different sites very pleasing. As well, Rarotonga is one of the most beautiful islands that I have visited in 3 or 4 oceans. I regret not getting over to Aitutaki!

The dive operator we used was great. Unfortunately, they closed some time ago due to a death in the family. Sadly, I've lost track of the surviving member.

I preferred the Muri side for accommodations, had also stayed at Edgewater. Restaurants were outrageously expensive to my mind and not very good either, no matter the price. Keep in mind this was many years ago so I've no idea what the food is like these days.

Regardless, I'd have returned if it weren't such a brutal journey from here.

I did both aitutaki and Rarotonga less than 12 months ago.

Whilst not the best diving in the world it was decent enough to keep me entertained. If you compare it to indo ect you will probably be disappointed.

If you want any specific questions answered shoot me a PM and ill give you all the details

You also wont get any nitrox on either of the islands

Cheers

Nate

I dived there about 10 years ago. Best visibility I have ever had, at least 50 metres every dive. However, very disappointing diving, poor coral and little fishlife. I think the water is so clear there are little nutrients for coral/fish etc. Great place otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom