Converting from Nitrox to Std Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question from my Dive Buddy.....He recently bought two tanks at a very good price but they're Nitrox cerified tanks BUT he is not certified to dive Nitrox and the question is: If you drained the tanks and filled it with standard air and pealed off the nitrox sticker would this tank now be okay to dive now?

Thanks,
Aardal
:mean:

Yes :)

Roak

Ditto to Roak's response.

It just seems a shame to not keep them setup for Nitrox.

Oh well, Just thinking down the road. As a concept,
"Why not get Nitrox certified and dive the tanks with Nitrox?"

Just my musings

DSAO

He'd be better off getting air fills from a source that is nitrox compatible (normally by having it double filtered through a special charcol filter). In effect the fill would be classed as EAN 21%. That way, when (if) he does get nitrox certified he wouldn't have to pay to have his cylinders O2 cleaned.

If he does keep them setup as Nitrox, He would then have to buy Nitrox Regulators which could cost a pretty penny. Am I correct here? Currently he dives the Apeks TX 50. Is there a conversion kit out there that would make his regulators compatible without having to buy a new setup? Thanks for the responses so far and please keep them coming....

Aardal
:)

Aardal,

there you went and opened a whole can of worms... and you didn't see it coming. This has been a "hot" topic and there will be LOTS of opinions forthcoming. You may even become confused or disoriented at the barage coming your way... HOWEVER, it is my opinion and the opinion of the vast majority of divers that I know that most regs DO NOT require any further modification to use NitrOx up to and including EAN40. Since there is little to replace the silicone or rubber based diaphragms, the idea of making them "oxy-clean" is a moot point. Both materials can combust in the presence of oxygen. The "wet majority" further believe that the countless hours of use by the diving community with out an appreciable increase in accidents only proves our point, that you don't have to do squat to your Apex (or ScubaPro, or Aqualung... etc.). Tanks are another matter.

Someone turn the NitrOx off... I think the flames are going to start...

Originally posted by Aardal
If he does keep them setup as Nitrox, He would then have to buy Nitrox Regulators which could cost a pretty penny. Am I correct here?
Gosh durnit. We actually had a simple Nitrox question and you had to go ahead and ruin it! :)

Pretty much the entire SCUBA industry says any Nitrox mixture up to 40% O2 can use normal regulators.

There are a few that disagree, and poking around the Nitrox posts on this board will give you far more information than you could possibly want. :)

Roak

Aardal, I'm happy to report that my TX50 has been perking right a long using nitrox and not 1 fire yet. But I do keep my extinguisher handy just in case.

Just so you know, yes Apeks sells a conversion kit to convert the TX50 to nitrox compatible. See your dealer for details.

Disclaimer----aka Fine Print

By the above statements I'm not advocating nor condoning the use of the Apeks TX50, or any other regulator for that matter, with nitrox. I am simplying stating what I do and nothing more. You should always follow all of the manufactor's recommendations regarding issues such as this.

So ultimately it can be left setup as Nitrox and just get 21% fills.....Is that where this whole thread is going? If that is so can a person that isn't certified to dive Nitrox get a 21% fill?

Aardal
:wink:

Originally posted by Aardal
So ultimately it can be left setup as Nitrox and just get 21% fills.....Is that where this whole thread is going? If that is so can a person that isn't certified to dive Nitrox get a 21% fill?

Aardal
:wink:

YES

just look at the persons face when you go and ask for a fill of Ean21.

every new diver is trained on 21% the air we breathe is 21% O2

I know an Instructor that regularly uses his Nitrox stickered tanks with a 21% mix and hasn't changed his seals to Vitox in his regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom