Question Converting Fiber Optic cables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Audsred

Audsred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have 3 fiber optic cables that have the screw cap used by Inon strobes. I would like to convert them to a plug-in like the New Backscatter Hybrid flash will need. Below is a picture of the cap part of the fiber optic cable. I tried to unscrew the screws but they would not budge.

Can I just cut off the cap part - would I just use a wire nipper? These cables work fine, so it doesn't make sense to buy new if I can convert them. I have rubber 'plugs' that I can put on the end if I cut the cap off.

Thanks for your input :cool:
Audrey

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
Yes, you can cut them off, but you might just be able to unscrew the connectors and remove them. That way you don't shorten the cables or damage the fiber.

However, if you must cut a fiber optic cable I suggest using an ultra-sharp single blade like a NEW utility knife razor. (aka Box Cutter) Put the fiber on a block of wood, put the razor blade where you want to cut and give it a short sharp tap with a small hammer. You will get a very clean cut. Do NOT use scissors, they will damage the fibers.

Audrey, I think you’ll find that the threaded cap will pop off, leaving the plug-in good to go with no snipping involved.

DiverVision has all sorts of connector bits and pieces. They are fast and reliable source for such things.

Inon brand cables are usually built with a non-removable cap. At least mine are. Most aftermarket cables do have a cap that will pop off and is retained by a friction fit O-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom