converter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Anybody know of a good program that converts cd's to mp3's? My old nero used to have it but the new one doesn't .... :frown:

justleesa:
Anybody know of a good program that converts cd's to mp3's? My old nero used to have it but the new one doesn't .... :frown:

What you want is a CD ripper. MS Media Player will do it (though I don't know how). Real Player will also do it. Both are free.

Real Player has an annoying registration mechanism.

MS Media Player has an annoying "I will make MS Player the default player for everything" habit.

Pick your poison :eyebrow:

[edit added...] I am, of course, assuming that you have surrendered to Microsoft; you have been assimilated; and you are running on a Windows 95/98/SE/2000/XP platform...

MusicMatch Jukebox has always been really good. Of course it isn't freeware.

Matt

leesa

do you have the latest ultrra version of nero? because if i remember correctly included inthe software is a license for a plugin that does what your asking.

let me double check and if it is the case i will let you know

Tooth

Leesa,

Musicmatch Jukebox 10 will rip/convert CD's to MP3's. And the basic version is freeware. The copy/convert function is built into the Recorder option. But it will nag you to upgrade to the premium version everytime you use it to rip music.

Windows Media Player 10 also will do it, but you have to change from the default settings which will be Windows Media format. It's in Tools, Options, under the Rip Music tab. Also set the Audio Quality to best, Microsoft defaults to the worst when ripping MP3's. Then just load your disk and click the Rip button on the player.

I've used a ripper called Exact Audio Copy(EAC) and then the RazorLame encoder to convert to MP3's. It's a two step process but allows more control over the final output quality. Nice thing about EAC is it reads the same Internet Music database that all the other programs use for track/artist info. Both are free on the web.

Whatever program you use, if you click the Normalize function on, all the music you rip will be recorded at the same output level. Which is nice for a portable player.

Go to the Windows Update web site and download Media Player version 10. It rips audio really fast and it keeps all the title and artist information so you can see what you're playing on your portable music box. This is all assuming that you use windows.

Thanks y'all for the input!

I just purchased a DVD burner and the nero that was included is what I have...version 6,3,1,29

I went to MS and downloaded the "current" media player, which was only #9, but it does have the ripping option.

Again Moooochas Gacias!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom