Convert Scubapro MK25 from A to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mong

Reaction score
Hi folks,
The title pretty much says it all. I've just invested in a twinset and - rather than have bits and pieces sticking out all over the place, reckon that now would be a good time to go from A-Clamp to DIN.

Is this something that I could do myself (has anyone else done this themselves)? Or will I need to take a pot of cash down to my LDS and ask them to do it for me?

Many thanks,

KJ

Mong:
Hi folks,
The title pretty much says it all. I've just invested in a twinset and - rather than have bits and pieces sticking out all over the place, reckon that now would be a good time to go from A-Clamp to DIN.

Is this something that I could do myself (has anyone else done this themselves)? Or will I need to take a pot of cash down to my LDS and ask them to do it for me?

Many thanks,

KJ

Not a tough job (I converted 4 of mine over). You should have a padded vise to hold the body of the first stage, a large Cressent wrench to remove the yoke, the two hex keys, and a torque wrench with fitting to attach the larger hex key (torque specs are on the package). Re-use the dust cap from the yoke by removing the grey hard plastic insert from the cap (the cap will then fit over the DIN threads). I picked up the DIN conversion kits from a few of the area LDS at a cost of about $65 to $80 each. You may also want to pick-up a DIN-to-yoke adapter for travel (when DIN tanks are not available at your destination). PM me if you need detailed instructions. Good luck.

The job will require either a 1" yoke socket or a very large (15") cresent wrench with long enough jaws to reach the flats of the yoke retainer nut. You will also need a torque wrench and suitable sockets with 5/32 and 6mm allen bits to install the din fitting and filter retainer. The torque specs are important so you cannot afford to skip the torque wrench. The padded vice can be skipped as it is possible to torque things by bracing the first stage against a padded surface like your floor with the proper technique, but a vice makes it easier.

So in short if you already own the tools it is economical to do it yourself. If you do not, the $ charged by an LDS is a good deal. If you buy a DIN conversion kit from a shop, you should be able to negotiate free installation with no problem.

I have seen the kits on E-bay in the $40-$45 range and this would be a potential incentive to do it yourself as long as you did not have to spend more than you save on tools. But buying the part from a shop and then installing it yourself makes zero sense as unless the LDS owner is a real jerk, the installation will be free. Scubapro does not specify any pricing for parts so dealers are free to charge what they want from below their cost to whatever the market will bear. So if they are already making money on the part, they do not need to gouge you for the labor as well. And it is only a 5 min job in the first place.

I could have bought the conversion kit for $50 + shipping online. I went to my LDS where I got the kit and free install (while I waited) for $65. Seemed like a easy choice to me.

I agree with DA Aquamaster about letting the LDS do the job. I have all the tools mentioned above because I do some repair and gunsmithing on my target pistols. Also I was converting 4 regulators. My LDS' wanted to charge extra for the installation, I was on a tight time line for an upcoming trip and would have to leave them for the conversions by their part-time techs. To find the parts in stock (no time to order them in) I was dealing with 3 different dive shops that were each an hour or more drive away... not so local. If your LDS with do it free, or cheap, let them have at it.

Thanks for the replies folks. Given my total ineptitude and lack of any tools, I think that I'll opt for the LDS.

All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom