Conversion to DIN 300 bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycchai

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a Delta 5 yoke and would like to change it to DIN to use 300 bar tanks. I was told by the seller that the Stage 1 cannot be converted to meet the requirements. Strangely there is the option of 300 bar DIN being sold with new regs. Anyone has experience on this? is the design of the yoke stage one slightly different that it cannot handle the increased pressure? or the guy is wrong

Also I noticed comments on the oceanic din conversion kit leaking after being replaced. Anyone has experience with this?

Doing the conversion yourself really isn't a bad way to go. I did my scubapro mk25's myself. The result is that I have the parts to convert back to yoke when needed instead of using a din-to-yoke adapter. It only takes a couple minutes to swap the parts for a conversion. I've done it on park benches at dive sites before.

Obviously, it costs more to buy a reg and conversion kit.

Interestingly, that oceanic part looks identical to the scubapro part.

That Atomic kit is really expensive.
This spring I did buy 3 Scubapro kits, paying 39 eur each... Installing was trivial, less than 3 minutes.
The hardest part was unscrewing the central nut of the Joke mount.

Interestingly, the letter J does not exist in the Italian language. In Latin, it's used as the letter i, so Julius Ceasar is pronounced Iulius. Consider the sign above Jesus' cross, INRI, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews". Italians still pronounce J as an I.

You will find few Js in an Italian phone book. I still don't know how to tell the difference between a capital i and a small L on You Tube.

Interestingly, the letter J does not exist in the Italian language. In Latin, it's used as the letter i, so Julius Ceasar is pronounced Iulius. Consider the sign above Jesus' cross, INRI, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews". Italians still pronounce J as an I.

You will find few Js in an Italian phone book. I still don't know how to tell the difference between a capital i and a small L on You Tube.
That is not correct. J is a letter which always was part of the Italian alphabet. At elementary school we did call it "long i" (i lunga).
Y is not, indeed... And hence we often use J instead of Y, to which we are not accustomed.
The usage of "j" in normal words faded out at the end of 1800, indeed, and you can find it used only in books written in the past. It has mostly been replaced by "i" in those words. It survives only in some technical legal words, such as "fidejussione".
Nowadays "J" is commonly found just as part of the name of towns, for example Jesolo. In practice, it survived only in words where its is pronounced as "gi" (sweet g), and it was replaced by "i" whenever it is pronounced as the wovel "i". "j" is now considered a consonant, while in the past it was a wovel.
See here: J - Wikipedia).

That is not correct. J is a letter which always was part of the Italian alphabet. At elementary school we did call it "long i" (i lunga).
Y is not, indeed... And hence we often use J instead of Y, to which we are not accustomed.
The usage of "j" in normal words faded out at the end of 1800, indeed, and you can find it used only in books written in the past. It has mostly been replaced by "i" in those words. It survives only in some technical legal words, such as "fidejussione".
Nowadays "J" is commonly found just as part of the name of towns, for example Jesolo. In practice, it survived only in words where its is pronounced as "gi" (sweet g), and it was replaced by "i" whenever it is pronounced as the wovel "i". "j" is now considered a consonant, while in the past it was a wovel.
See here: J - Wikipedia).
Thanks for the clarification, Angelo. I know, of course, that J is part of the Italian alphabet. I wrote that it's not really part of the language anymore, used very seldom and when encountered usually pronounced as an i. My Italian is rudimentary, not even as good as my poor Latin, so I apologize for the imprecision. The only Italian I know I learned from an old friend, long deceased, Ralph Lembo, a Roman who worked for the Issa family in Jamaica and in the US as head of their advertising/publicity. Ralph made it possible for me to go to Jamaica as often as I wished for almost nothing. His son had been my student, but Ralph and I became close friends. Issa owned Air Jamaica for a time, as well as half of Negril. An expansive rowdy and extravagant white Jamaican who once, when he was dangerously short of cash, sold his mother's house out from under her.

I bought a Delta 5 yoke and would like to change it to DIN to use 300 bar tanks. I was told by the seller that the Stage 1 cannot be converted to meet the requirements. Strangely there is the option of 300 bar DIN being sold with new regs. Anyone has experience on this? is the design of the yoke stage one slightly different that it cannot handle the increased pressure? or the guy is wrong

Also I noticed comments on the oceanic din conversion kit leaking after being replaced. Anyone has experience with this?

A quick look at the information available in the UK.
None of the sales material states the DIN first stage is a 300 bar assembly. It does however mention it's a 'new' first stage, replacing an older version.

So there are two possibilities.
1. The DIN version of the Delta 5 is a 240bar regulator (5 threads, not 7 threads).
2. If the 'new' version is a 300 bar assembly, you have an older version, which is not a 300 bar version. Which would mean that the additional pressure could result in the first stage catastrophically failing.

Just because something is DIN, does not mean it is 300bar compatible.

Talk to the shop/manufacture and get the accurate information.

Back
Top Bottom