Converse ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The search feature on scubaboard isn't working so please excuse me if this is question has been posted before.

So I have long narrow feet I heard of folks using converse all stars as dive boots.
Converse all starts run a little narrow.

When I got them home I realized I purchased low tops and wondered if I needed high tops.
They fit well and have extra bulk I needed to fill the fin.

So my question is has anyone used them with success?

If so did you use high tops or low tops. I have a concern with the fin strap on low tops

Also how did the laces hold up.

thanks in advance, proper fit has been difficult

The Poseidon equivalent is a high top. I think the grommets on the regular Chuck Taylors will rust out after a while but most people seem to be happy with them.

Check these out - Altama Maritime Assault Mid Boot. I use them with either 3mm or 5mm neoprene socks when diving wet. The laces adjust to a snug fit on a narrow foot. I remove the thick inserts when diving dry to provide plenty of room for my drysuit and wool socks. Well made, low profile, quick drying and versatile boot, however, it provides absolutely no warmth. Great alternative to Converse.

Altama Maritime Assault - Mid

I have always used a Hightop Chuck Taylor in Wide. Its the only shoe that will fit my foot in the drysuit. I have used both the normal laces and shock cord bungee. Love them for the fit.

Check these out - Altama Maritime Assault Mid Boot. I use them with either 3mm or 5mm neoprene socks when diving wet. The laces adjust to a snug fit on a narrow foot. I remove the thick inserts when diving dry to provide plenty of room for my drysuit and wool socks. Well made, low profile, quick drying and versatile boot, however, it provides absolutely no warmth. Great alternative to Converse.

I really like the look of those... hmm.. I wear an 11 wide. out of water and a 12 wide in converse with my drysuit. Can you recommend a size for these based on this?

What do you do for sizing? True for wet? Bigger? How much upsize for dry and thermal socks?

I wear a 10-1/2 shoe and have a relatively narrow foot, so to accommodate my drysuit I initially planned on going up one whole size. However, the boots were not offered in 1/2 sizes, so after reading they run slightly large I purchased a size 11W. Between the additional width, functional laces and thick removable waterproof inserts there are a lot of options for wet and dry diving. This works for me, but if you have a wide foot from the outset it may be an issue.

I wear the altamas, wet in a 9 wide with a 2mm neoprene sock, and dry in an 11 wide, with 2 pairs of wool socks, and the neoprene socks on the suit. works really well, but requires 2 sets of fins.

I ordered a 12 wide. Will see how they fit and share what I learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom