Convenient to Bangkok, big critters, December---any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Bangkok in December and had originally planned to join a liveaboard for the Similan islands. While my first choice would be to stay in Thailand, I'm hearing a lot of "meh" when it comes to the diving conditions. I'd like to find a 3-5 day liveaboard convenient to Bangkok (direct flight?). My primary interest is big critters and unique experiences...pretty reefs are cool but not alone worth a trip for me.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks

Hi Brian2828

Great that you will be in Thailand this year - the diving choices nearby are pretty vast but for a 3-5 day liveaboard trip you will be somewhat limited. The Similans/ Richelieu/Koh Bon is of course an obvious choice and the diving has been pretty good there for the last 2 seasons, with plenty of manta ray and whale shark sightings. But then there are numerous boats going each day and you can expect to have a lot of other divers in the water. If you're looking for something a little more unique then perhaps a trip in Southern Thailand would be more appealing?

The Giamani Liveaboard has 3 night trips to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh haa, Phi Phi and Phuket 18-20 December. You'll be as likely to see mantas and whale sharks in the south as the north and the reefs are overall in better condition and usually fewer divers (excepting around Phi Phi).The trip departs from and returns to Chalong Pier which is a 45 minute ride from Phuket International airport. Price for the cabin is currently US$614

If you can spend a few more nights you might want to think about a trip in Myanmar. Thai Sea Liveaboard has 7 night trips for example but there are several boats with different trip and date options which you can search through our website.

Good Luck,
Susie
Liveaboard.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom