contrast showers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmaziuk

Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading the TDI blog post on decompression theory, linked by @boulderjohn else thread, and the part about endothelium made me wonder: has anyone ever looked at contrast showers in our context?

For those unfamiliar: you start as hot as you can get, then go full cold, repeat a few times. The idea is hot makes peripheral blood vessels dilate, dropping the core BP. Cold makes them contract and squeeze the blood into core pipes, raising core BP. So you're basically doing "reps" on your vascular system. (Don't try this at home, void where prohibited, etc.)

They are commonly used in sports to accelerate recovery although AFAIK the jury is still out on what they actually do and why.

I'd ask this on a Scandinavian forum.....

Soviet sauna, followed by jumping out for bath in icy pond, nyet?

Cold shocking the body that way can trigger all sorts of things, including heart attacks. Especially if you're over 50. Might want to run it past an MD, not just the crowd.

That was @tursiops joke I take it but no, thank you for playing. Hydrotherapy can trigger all sorts of things including, according to some articles, nothing. I was hoping @Duke Dive Medicine or @Dr Simon Mitchell or someone with a clue abut sports medicine read this and chime in.

What is the purpose of doing this?

Last edited:
What is the purpose of doing this?

Depends on who you ask. The claim is it speeds up removal of lactic acid and accelerates muscle recovery post-workout.

These guys: Influence of contrast shower and water immersion on recovery in elite netballers. - PubMed - NCBI claim the effect is purely psychological, these ones: Contrast Water Therapy and Exercise Induced Muscle Damage: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis say there may be something to it, while these: Scientific Evidence-Based Effects of Hydrotherapy on Various Systems of the Body list all sorts of things that seem to be happening during cold & hot water immersion.

Last edited:
I was wondering about effect of repeated changes in core blood pressure that's supposed to be happening there. Specifically, what that might do to the lining of blood vessels.

PS. not necessarily in terms of taking contrast showers post-dive.

It sounds like a craps shoot... it could dislodge a bubble but it could also lodge a bubble somewhere methinks.

Hot showers are not your friend after a dive. Besides, if you have to flush lactic acid out of your system after a dive, you're probably doing several things wrongly. I'm not a doctor, but this sounds contra-indicated to a Nitrogen-rich diver.

Back
Top Bottom