Continuing discussion on agency standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Guba:
Walter, I'm sorry you considered the question vague.

It's not what I consider vague. It is vague. From your original post on 10/16:

Guba:
EXACTLY what, pray tell, needs to be done to fix the problem?

That was your question. How do we solve the problem, without defining what problem you want to solve. You talked PADI's standards being lowered. You talked about some instructors exceeding standards. You talked about other agencies lowering standards. You never said if the problem were lowered standards or instructors exceeding standards. You never said if you were looking at a problem as seen by agencies in general, by PADI in particular, by instructors, by consumers... It was vague.

Guba:
What SHOULD the changes be to cert agencies' standards? In other words, what SHOULD they be teaching that they are not? Another clarification attempt--What is it that experienced divers feel is important to the way they dive that they feel is NOT being taught by cert agencies at an appropriate time?

To teach an adequate class, you'd need to add in maximum time per day spent training (NAUI has a 8 hour limit), minimum time period to complete training (eliminate one or two weekend classes), add in the skills I mentioned in the other thread and eliminate the hearsay rule for reporting standards violations.

Rick Inman:
I am closing the thread per OP request.

A silly policy, but it looks like we're stuck with it. Why should the OP have the option of ending discussion?

A silly policy, but it looks like we're stuck with it. Why should the OP have the option of ending discussion?

Another pm sent...:)

Back
Top Bottom