Continentail Airlines "Dive bag policy" change??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warmwaterturner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Last week we got into a big argument with the Cancun Airport Continentail Airlines counter rep about the dive bag policy. According to him, there is no free sports bag as in the past. According to him - our dive bag was our one allowable bag. The bag with our clothes was to be an extra charge if we wished to check it. According to him, we needed to "tell the Texas people at Continentail" that they were wrong.....

Here is the pasted policy.....from their site.....has something changed????

Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.

Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.

If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to scuba equipment.

I do know that Delta airlines changed their carry/roll aboard policy recently. Looks like they are targeting the standard 22X14X9 bags that have been the standard for years. Those specs are for the bag itself and do not include the wheels. We got caught up in this at a San Francisco to Newark flt. last week.

Our luggage, which we have rolled on board for yrs., had to be checked since the wheels made the luggage just a tad longer than the box they were requiring you to measure your bag in would allow. Multiple people on the flt. faced the same "You have to check" comments. The overhead bins were largely empty on the flt.

This is all, IMO, just another ploy by Delta to force the checked bags for the additional revenue stream.
Airlines rack up billions in baggage fees | 11alive.com

In any case, beware that times have changed.

Last edited:
On the other hand, they make basically no profit on a passenger that doesn't check a bag.

Continental has always considered a dive bag as a "bag" and subject to fees whenever I've flown with them (for the past 3 years). The policy clearly states the bag is subject to the first or second bag fee, whichever is applicable.

This is why unless there is no other way I flat out refuse to fly any more. They have nickle and dimed me enough and I refuse to pay 400 dollars for a 150 dollar quoted price. (Hence all the freakin upcharges and surcharges that they are scamming eeer pulling on people.

Why fly for a thousand dollars per person when 4 people can split the cost of driving with all the luggage their hearts desire for thousands cheaper, no sexual assaults at the gates and all the free speach ones heart desires?

What I am wondering is if the policy has changed since the merger. I too have been flying with them for many years but I have never encountered this before. The dive bag has always been accepted as long as it does not exceede 50lbs. Just wondering if the policy has changed without anyones attention being drawn to it.

In this day of smart phones it should be just about impossible for a counter jockey with an attitude to BS a passenger. Just pull out your phone, pull this up:

Here is the pasted policy.....from their site.....has something changed????

Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

And then ask him if the companys website is wrong

I see nothing in the "pasted policy" that says a dive bag is not charged or subject to baggage fees. In addition, there is this on their website on Checked Baggage Fees.

Is sporting equipment subject to bag fees?

Yes. Sporting equipment that does not have its own service fee is subject to the first and second bag fees. Some sporting equipment is subject to its own service fee (i.e. surfboards, sailboards, pole vaults, etc.) and is exempt from the first and second bag fees.

Damn what was the question?

Cont Air has charged for bags with scuba gear just like other bags for years.

As a dive guide,I have flown C/A many time & bag is a bag,is a bag. If it's overweight then you pay. One of my problems is when I use my miles up I'm no longer an 'elite frequent flyer' and I have to pay for everything!
I have also been "hearing" the airlines are going to weigh carryon bags and limit to one per person. I'm ready to go from Texas to Cebu on (3) different carriers so figuring number of bags,checked/carryon,the weigh restrictions will be a challenge. Oh well.......it's better than sitting in traffic all day!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Back
Top Bottom