Container to take car smart key fob down with me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of having to wrap in foil you can hold the lock and unlock button on the fob for 5 seconds and it disables the keyless entry. Do the process again to turn it on.

Instead of having to wrap in foil you can hold the lock and unlock button on the fob for 5 seconds and it disables the keyless entry. Do the process again to turn it on.
FOB-dependent

Bought one of these for PLB and am quite happy with it:

CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. | eBay

Possibly not the most cost effective, but the thing is purpose built and very robust (including very thick threads and O-ring). Rated to 70m.
There is an extensive discussion of this canister in the PLB threads. Not everyone finds them to be waterproof. Some special care needs to be taken with the o-rings.

Another option, if you have a trailer hitch, is to use a combo safe that inserts into the trailer hitch. I bought one after my Jeep was stolen in Hawaii.

Not sure how secure those trailer hitch combo safes actually are (or any other external safe attached to the car for that matter).

Personally know of crime victims here in CA where hitch safe was broken into, vehicle key removed, and all valuables left "secured" inside vehicle stolen (wallets, cellphones, etc.).

I take a dumb key secured to my BCD with me when shore diving and leave electronic keys on boat (when boat diving obviously).

Lots of varied ideas about securing the fob here or there, and it seems it varies a lot from car to car. I'll still go with stashing it/burying outside the car as long as nobody sees me. I do that with the spare key of course. The key I use to drive is hidden inside the car--so if for some reason the spare that's outside disappears, I may be locked out, but my car is drivable after getting AAA or a locksmith. This is particularly important if I'm diving in the Connecticut and my wife (with the other car) is 883 miles away.

If you're going to be storing other diver's stuff in your hitch lock, especially their car keys, it would not be unreasonable to share the combination with them.

That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. You're absolutely right and I'd never deliberately withhold it. Nobody has yet asked but I should probably offer it. (Last time I did this one diver thumbed before we'd even descended, and I gave her the combination so she could doff gear and dry off while we continued.)

Reactions: IT.
Not sure how secure those trailer hitch combo safes actually are (or any other external safe attached to the car for that matter).

Personally know of crime victims here in CA where hitch safe was broken into, vehicle key removed, and all valuables left "secured" inside vehicle stolen (wallets, cellphones, etc.).

I take a dumb key secured to my BCD with me when shore diving and leave electronic keys on boat (when boat diving obviously).

Those hitch safes are rather obvious. I just stick my key in a normal metal key safe, and lock it around part of the suspension. The key-safe acts as a Faraday cage well enough for our cars.

I didn’t know you could do that, but I leave the spare key in the truck under the seat all the time. Just in case I loose the key I’m carrying. That fool prevents the door from unlocking when someone touches the door sensor. Otherwise, the door would unlock for anyone. However, if I didn’t do that, I could definitely see this working.

Back
Top Bottom