Contacts vs Prescription lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife is going to get her OW this spring. She does have soft contacts she can wear and I would consider getting her Rx for her mask. Downside is her Rx is severe and glasses have pretty thick lens. Who is the go to company with Rx for masks? Can she dive with contacts? She doesn't qualify with Lasix as her astigmatism is so great they can't do it...we already went to 3 different eye surgeons as her corneas are too thin.

After the lenses on my first prescription mask from my LDS debonded after my second week of diving, I ordered directly from Custom Prescription Dive Masks . I've had over 150 dives on two of their masks over the years and have had zero problems. You can buy a mask from them or send them your own mask. Talk to them first because some mask shapes will work better than others depending on your prescription.

I can't answer anything about contacts because neither disposable nor extended wear are available in my prescription and I've given up on the hassle of daily wear that have to be constantly cleaned and disinfected.

My wife and I both have prescription masks (mine is a progressive trifocal) from Seavision.

This isn’t an answer to your *post* as much as your *title*...

Diving with contacts is no more annoying than contacts in the first place. My lenses are 10.0 or so and one is a toric lens on top of that. I’ve only dove with contacts, never a prescription mask.

It means I can’t open my eyes underwater, and I have to be careful clearing my mask to make sure it’s clear. I *have* had a contact pop out no more than 2-3 times in 500 dives (but never lost one!) and slosh around my eyes for a bit a few more times than that. I found the reason for that was almost always drops in my *eyelashes* getting in my eyes — I have fairly long lashes. If you’re careful, you can manage that pretty easily once you’re aware of the issue.

Diving with contacts has never limited my diving, including drills where I’ve had to swim 50’ at depth without a mask, and *bunches* of mask-off and replace drills.

I find contacts in a *pool* a zillion times harder to deal with: nobody’s ever tried splashing me unexpectedly while diving...

Why no prescription mask for me? I lose masks... and a backup pair of contacts is cheaper and a lot easier to manage — and covers more failures.

This isn’t an answer to you *post* as much as your *title*...

Diving with contacts is no more annoying than contacts in the first place. My lenses are 10.0 or so and one is a toric lens on top of that. I’ve only dove with contacts, never a prescription mask.

It means I can’t open my eyes underwater, and I have to be careful clearing my mask to make sure it’s clear. I *have* had a contact pop out no more than 2-3 times in 500 dives (but never lost one!) and slosh around my eyes for a bit a few more times than that. I found the reason for that was almost always drops in my *eyelashes* getting in my eyes — I have fairly long lashes. If you’re careful, you can manage that pretty easily once you’re aware of the issue.

Diving with contacts has never limited my diving, including drills where I’ve had to swim 50’ at depth without a mask, and *bunches* of mask-off and replace drills.

I find contacts in a *pool* a zillion times harder to deal with: nobody’s ever tried splashing me unexpectedly while diving...

Why no prescription mask for me? I lose masks... and a backup pair of contacts is cheaper and a lot easier to manage — and covers more failures.

Same.

I've been diving with contacts forever (20+ years) and I've done plenty of mask off and mask recovery drills. You just need to get comfortable with having your eyes closed underwater while you clear your mask or get your secondary mask and clear it.

The ONLY time I ever completely lost my contact lenses was during my initial OW training in a pool and I opened my eyes to swim the length of the pool. Driving home that day was quite an adventure. :)

- brett

The ONLY time I ever completely lost my contact lenses was during my initial OW training in a pool and I opened my eyes to swim the length of the pool. Driving home that day was quite an adventure. :)

- brett
I was a lifeguard at my college pool back when I was still wearing contacts. Pretty boring job most of the time. So the first time I had an opportunity to dive in from the chair to help someone, I was so excited I forgot to close my eyes.

It took me a couple of months to save up for a new pair. I think that was the last time I swam with contacts.

I also use contacts for diving. The one day disposables.
Many years ago I played the game getting the masks done with my corrections but then I wanted to use a different mask and then my eyes changed so needed different correction, At that point i decided it wasn't worth it, when having contacts gives me much freedom.

I dove with Contacts for many years and never had a problem with them. I only switched to a prescription mask (which is awesome) after I got older and could no longer read up close with my contacts. It got so I only wore Contacts when diving and glasses the rest of the time. I would get frustrated with the contacts >after< diving and go back to my glasses. I got a mask from PrescriptionDiveMasks.com (linked above) and they are great.

If you are a serious and frequent diver I suggest getting two prescription masks eventually. I had a near miss almost losing mine at the start of a Galapagos dive trip and immediately got an updated prescription and a new mask. The older one is now my backup.

I've been diving for 30 of the 31 years I've been diving with contact lenses. I hated not being able to see once back on the boat. Keep her in her lenses unless you want to do everything for the both of you.

I dove with Contacts for many years and never had a problem with them. I only switched to a prescription mask (which is awesome) after I got older and could no longer read up close with my contacts. It got so I only wore Contacts when diving and glasses the rest of the time. I would get frustrated with the contacts >after< diving and go back to my glasses. I got a mask from PrescriptionDiveMasks.com (linked above) and they are great.

If you are a serious and frequent diver I suggest getting two prescription masks eventually. I had a near miss almost losing mine at the start of a Galapagos dive trip and immediately got an updated prescription and a new mask. The older one is now my backup.

I have multifocal contact lenses so the far / near thing isn't a problem. :)

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom