Contact Lense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oli

Reaction score
Do you folks have any problems when diving with contact lenses?
I use 1-day Acuvue and they work great.
Does anyone use anything different??

I use Day and Night(I think they are Baush and Lomb) . These are great for me. I put them at the beginning of the trip and don't have to remove them until I get home.They are very comfortable. Depth pressure doesn't effect them at all and didn't even have any trouble with salt water in the eyes. I just used eye wash after the dives and everything was hunky dory. The only set back is I have to carry magnifying glasses so I can read the menu at those great resturants . Ha!

No problems with mine , and have even reused them after cleaning them. Im nearsited and can use a lower power for diving because there's not much need to see perfectly 300' away and using a less strong power allows me to see my guages more clearly

DB

Hi, I have no problem diving with contacts either. I still wear daily non-disposable lenses.
I just tell my buddy that I wear contacts and that I close my eyes while clearing/replacing my mask. If my buddy's helpful, they might even tap me on the shoulder when my mask is clear. :05:
When I have opened my eyes to salt water, though, I do find that salt water stings, but only for a few seconds. And then, no problem.

I really want to do Lasik, cuz the lenses always make my eyes burn at the end of the day. Anyone did Lasik before.

This message is written by Oli

Hey Oli-

I think I met you at the Labor Day GTG - you're MM's girlfriend, right?

Anyway, as far as Lasik, I recall there being several threads about this in the past. Seems like some people have had good success with it. My sister (doesn't dive) also had Lasik done a couple years ago, and it turned out well for her.

I personally am interested in the general idea of not having to wear contacts again - but in actuality am really too nervous to do surgery on my eyes. I have read about the flip side of Lasik - when the surgery didn't go so well. I believe some people see weird halo type effects at night, or their nighttime vision is generally pretty bad. I think about the worst case scenario if the surgery didn't go right for me, and I decide that wearing my contacts isn't so bad.

There's a website that provides cautionary feedback on Lasik - I can't recall the name of the site, but I read about it on a past thread here on Scubaboard. It was a couple years back, though.

I believe that after "Oli" asked me, all of her questions have been answered. Also a good use of the Search function Oli.

Thanks for all the information.
My only concern is many years ago, a Dr. told me that I see brighter images than most people. It was not a problem until lately. When I drive at night, the head lights of other cars on the road always blind me, plus my contacts always get dry at night. I did some research on the halo effect. It is common for people to get this side effect, but some doctors claim they will go away in 2 years. Would that halo effect aggravate my vision or not.

One quick question. Does anyone have any problems diving after any kind of lasik surgery?

posted by Oli

When I went for a consultation about 6 years ago, I was told that there was a 1 % chance of seeing halos around lights, especially if you have very large pupils. They correct for this by enlarging the slit that they make.

Well, I have very large pupils and I see halos around lights without surgery, and the doctor knew this when he examined my eyes. He said that my halos could actually be corrected with laser the same way while correcting my vision. You should have a consultation.

I chose not to do the procedure at the time because my vision had not stabilized. They said that it's advisable to wait until I was a little older and my prescription hasn't changed in about 5 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom