Console or Wrist Mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedlom

Reaction score
First I want to thank everyone that provides input to this forum. I trust the knowledge and advice given here over a magazine review any day. My questions: I have read numerous posts here and have decided on the Suunto Cobra console or the Vyper Wrist mount. I am getting a mixed review of the type of mount that is best. I understand that a wrist mount is good if you travel (which I do), but typically my regs would be going with me along with the console. So, how does the computer know how much air is left on the non-air integrated computers? Thanks again.

The computer doesn't know how much air is left if it is non-air integrated - that's what the SPG is for. Non-air integrated computers (depending on the model) can provide depth, temperature, bottom time, remaining non-decompression time, surface interval, ascent rate, and on some models, decompression information. Air management is left up to the diver.

Remember if you do go with a console, keep it clipped off on your body. Dangling consoles are entanglement hazards and can/will kill coral and other marine life on contact.

Something to consider when choosing between console and wrist mounted computers, is that you always know where your wrist is, and checking a wrist mounted computer is as simple as glancing down, rather than reaching for a console, so you are more likely to be aware of your depth and time. As your gas management skills increase, you may find yourself relying less on your SPG to estimate remaining gas (not to say that you shouldn't check it periodically!).

Of course, there are hoseless wrist-mounted air-integrated computers that have a transmitter mounted on the 1st stage -- the tank pressure is transmitted to the wrist mounted computer.

Some say this is a potential failure point. Suunto is about to come out with a new hoseless integrated computer that also has mixed gas capability -- the Vytec.

Eyes, or at least eye sight, and sunlight.

Sometimes it is easier to get the console in focus because it can move in ways your wrist can't. Sames goes for trying to get rid of a bright sun reflection while hanging.

Greg
NAUI #6788

Your final deciding factor may be to simply think about how you use a computer and how functional the 2 set-ups are (wrist & console) given your diving style.

When I was making this choice, I tied to think of situations where I was multi-tasking underwater and really needed to see the computer at the same time. These situations usually involved night diving (managing a light in addition to your other gear) as well as free asents/descents (especially at night without a mooring line or reference point and/or poor vis).

In these situations, I want to be able to manage my BC inflator/dump at the same time I am looking at my computer to see depth and ascent rate. Bottom line, I want my left hand free to operate the BC -- for me the wrist-mount made sense since I can monitor the computer on my right wrist while using the left hand for the BC. This is not impossible to do with a console; IMHO, it was just a little more unwieldy given my diving style.

Good luck -- and I don't think you will go wrong with the Vyper or Cobra...both are great computers (I use a wrist-mounted Vyper).

First of all, Welcome to the board.

I have both a console mounted computer and a wrist mounted one. All the previous comments are appropriate.

I find that I tend to use my wrist mount more and more than my console mount. It is just easier to glance at my wrist.

It's all right there, watch, compass, computer. No muss, no fumbling around finding stuff or clipping/unclipping. No danglies or silly retractors.

DSAO

I have the Cobra and am very happy with it. I can deffinately see the advantage of having wrist mount when mutli-tasking, but I am more a rec diver. Aside from pulling a few bugs out of holes, I have little else I need to manage. I believe the vyper is a few bucks more, but may be worth it if you need to have your hands free.

Personally I don't care for wrist mounted computers because to me it would be easier to lose one. If you are diving with a wetuit or dry suit you have to take the computer on and off after diving and it increases the chances of it getting lost or broken. Having it attached to my reg is nice for me as it is one less piece of gear I need to worry about losing. I can lose it all at one time!

Scott

I never thought about the pros and cons until I read this thread, but two things occured to me:

1) Since I have a console mount, as long as I remember to take my regulator, I don't have to think about my computer.

2) "Show me yours and I'll show you mine" - My wife and I show each other our gauges several times during a dive. This is easy when both gauges are on a console.

i would say to go with the console. wrist mount is just one more thing to forget and to me its hard to forget your reg. i have a console and love it. i know someone who spent two dives looking for their wrist mount the dropped i dunno if they found it. To do this with a console mount you would need to drop your whole reg in the water. I was thinking about getting a wrist mounted back up though. To me its all a matter of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom