Considering new Nikon D7000 - would appreciate comments/alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking for a new setup for a little while, and I am leaning towards a Nikon D7000. I currently shoot a Oly e330 with Ikelite housing and Ikelite DS125 strobe.

My current camera is obviously out of date, so that's the primary reason I'm looking. What do I want to get out of a camera?

- better low light shooting
- high MP
- video
- would like to keep and re-use my strobe

I like everything from Macro to fish portraits to wide angle.

I have to say I'm a fan of the Ikelite housings (probably because I've never had issues) and like the modular port options. Not stuck on this, but they do seem like a good economical solution.

Anyway, what I would appreciate is the following:
1) What other camera's with similar strengths, and cost, should I be looking at
2) What are the downsides of the D7000?
3) If I do go with the D7000, what lenses would you recommend?

Thanks,

Darryl

I've got a D7000 - love it - & although I'm sure the video will be fine, I only use my 2 GoPros for video.

Anyway, what I would appreciate is the following:
1) What other camera's with similar strengths, and cost, should I be looking at
2) What are the downsides of the D7000?
3) If I do go with the D7000, what lenses would you recommend?

1) Canon 7D is prob. closest. You might wait a couple of days to see if Nikon or Canon come out with some new models at Photokina
2) None that I can think of, currently one of the best choices for uw. However, I don't shoot video. I have heard that continuous AF is a joke for video. But that's no surprise for a DSLR.
3) 60mm for macro, Tokina 10-17 fisheye for wide angle.

I have the D7000. In the Nikon lineup, there really isn't anything comparable that I would recommend. The D7000 is a pretty capable camera. In Nikon, the only step up would be going to full frame cameras like the new D800 which has a more advanced focus system (more points). I am not familiar with the Canon DSLRs. But in my opinion, for DSLRs it is either Canon or Nikon. Only Canon and Nikon produce a full line of superb lenses and both companies make excellent cameras.

Which lenses you need is a matter of what you want to do. I have the Tokina 10-17. It works great for landscape shots (underwater) and diver shots. It is quite handy to use it for photos on the boat. Now some people hate fisheye lenses. Also having only 17 at the long end, if you want to take shots of fish with this lens, you have to get really close.

Some people like rectilinear lenses over fisheye lenses. These are lenses such as a 12-24 zoom. I am not that keen on these.

The 60 mm macro lens works very well. There is a problem. At 1:1, the focus distance is quite close. It is too close for more cautious subjects. It is often too close for the photographer to shoot if the critter is in some cover. The 60 mm lens also works well with smaller fish.

The problem you get with the above is that the 60 mm lens works well with most small fish but is too long for fish like mature angel fish. If you use the 10-17, you really have to get closer than most fish will permit. I have found the Sigma 17-70 macro to be a good compromise lens for these "in between" settings.

Many people also get the Nikon micro 105. I don't have it. I would that since it gives a longer working distance, that it would work better than the 60 mm for wary subjects. I think it would be good for very small skittish fish, in the less than 4" range. The Nikon 105 also allows the photographer to get involved in supermacro images. I have gotten shots of small blennies with my 60 mm macro but they are so small that you really want more magnification. There are wet lenses that like Subsee that allow the photographer to get involved with supermacro. But supermacro is a pretty specialized area.

As a word of caution, the weight of the camera, lenses, strobes, housings, ports, etc adds up. My camera gear accounts for as much weight as my dive gear. So I do feel a bit like a sherpa in airports now when I am lugging all the stuff around. The thing is do you really want to do this? There are mirrorless systems that are far more compact and are pretty high quality too. I prefer the DSLR approach. But I can see for many people the sheer weight and bulk of the DSLR system would be prohibitive.

We've been pretty happy with the video quality on our D7000:

[vimeo]47820089[/vimeo]

[vimeo]36954193[/vimeo]

[vimeo]45667348[/vimeo]

As for lenses, we've started with the Tokina 10-17mm and the Nikon 60mm. Just now beginning to shoot stills with our setup (video-only until quite recently). Great system.

I also use a D7000 and house it in an Aquatica box. I've been very happy with it and it's a nice upgrade from the D90 I had previously. The D7000 has a better processor than it's predecessors which increases it's dynamic range. In real terms, what this means is that you will see smoother gradations in the water column and sun rays etc.

My favorite lenses are the Tokina 10-17 and the Nikon 60mm macro. I also have a Nikon 105mm macro which I like, but it can be tricky to focus. I also have a Nikon 12-24 but I haven't used it since I got the 10-17 and am about to slap it on eBay I think...

If I was going to upgrade my D300/300s rigs I would be looking at the D7000.

I use Sea&Sea housings and have various lenses, but most used at Tokina 10-17, 60 and 105 macro, occasionally 85mm macro if I am traveling with some restrictions as it fits in the same port as the 60. I also use a Macro-Mate for super macro on the 105 for stuff like the pygmy seahorse
<=

Not so sure Burhan, Sea&Sea only make a limited number of housings to start with, once they are gone they are gone.

Other options available for sure

D800 is x3 the price of the D7000 though :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom