Considering moving, looking for ideas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linemandiver

Registered
Reaction score
So long story, I currently live in iowa on a hobby farm (wife likes the farm). Last February I took a dive trip for 2 weeks. Durring that time a cold snap hit -30°, and she had to deal with cattle waters and hydrants freezing. She is now willing to move where the winters arent as harsh(dont mind it snowing but melt off afterwards), so she can manage better while I'm gone on dive trips. So we are looking to move further south. I at first thought was thinking northern Arkansas(not far to table rock, or beaver lake) but wish they were a little deeper 230+ for tec dives. I am looking for more ideas, places with rec and tec dive locations, mild winters. Couple rules, has to be in the continental US, Texas and Florida are out(to hot in summer for our farm animals). Basically looking for near decent rec and tec locations and cheap farm/acreage land. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You can get the land and the diving pretty easily in Michigan and Wisconsin, but it's not going to be any warmer.

Do you cave dive? Parts of Missouri might fit the bill.

Greers Ferry in Arkansas has the depth requirements you are looking for, with a reported max depth of 486'.

DW

Our riding stable moved all their horses goats and other critters to Virginia. Love it there.
The Amtrak train from Lorton VA, (south of DC), to Sanford Florida allows cars, so you can take your car and all technical gear, tanks etc. to florida on an overnight trip, wake up ready to drive off the train at Sanford FL near Orlando.

Hadn't heard much about greers ferry lake, quick google search, it looks nice. Lake Jocassee looks like a good option too. Is there much for deep lakes/quarries in Virginia?

Hadn't heard much about greers ferry lake, quick google search, it looks nice. Lake Jocassee looks like a good option too. Is there much for deep lakes/quarries in Virginia?

I have not been there yet. But I agree, it looks nice. Used to be quite a bit of tech training at the Oronogo, Missouri mine, but it is closed now. It bottomed out at about 220, and had some interesting deep shafts.

If you are cave certified, Roubidoux gets deep. There is also the Cannonball cave. I have been to neither, just heard stories from acquaintances and instructors.

DW

Is there much for deep lakes/quarries in Virginia?
I googled deepest lakes in Virginia and the only one that meets your depth requirement is Smith Mountain Lake at 250' max. But that's next to the dam and looking at a few old threads here, it's not a good place to dive even away from the water inlets.

Found this old post about Lake Jocasee while looking at something else Underwater cites in the south....
"...For those tri-mix certified, you could visit Camp Jocassee for Girls and the steel bridge that crossed Whitewater River and was the only entrance into the Valley. Keeping in mind that the bottom time on a 300-320 foot dive is only about 20 minutes, there is still much exploration to be done at the girls camp. The bridge and the stone pillars to the camp have been found. There are cement-block cabins still there, I'm sure. Down the road from the girls camp is Attakulla Lodge, a 3 story hotel standing completely intact in exactly 300 feet."

Watauga Lake in Tennessee (close to Virgina) is a little deeper at 265' at the dam and has a submerged town at around 100'. I'd consider it technical, because the lake surface is at 1900' elevation and the bottom is supposed to be very silty and it's heavily fished so lots of entanglement hazards.

Are you limiting yourself to the continental US? There are a lot of nice places farther south.
Costa Rica, Panama, Belize....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom