Considering a WaterProof brand Semidry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTP

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, here is the dilemma. Like many of you, my significant other (my Wife) is a cold water Winnie PITA and I’m and insensitive #@*%$*. To minimize the pain during surface intervals, I’m considering the purchase of a WaterProof brand semidry or ScubaPro semidry suit for each of us. I am not a Henderson fan as I have 2 hyperstretch suits growing dust in the closet.

I usually just layer my Xcel 4.3 and my ScubaPro 3mm along with a 3/5 bibbed hood for temps in the 50-60s and reduce from there as temps improve. As you know this makes for a painful second dive when it comes time to don the wet wetsuit and jump back in.

I am looking for the specific temp range of 52 to 70, as we have all warmer conditions well covered.

Warm second and third dives are the key consideration w/o going to a dry suit.

Who has information on these brands and any suggestions outside of these options?

Thanks

Why not dive dry? You're wife will thank-you immensely!

Simple, its just cost. Maybe 20 dives per year for her and 35 for me in water below 72 degrees as opposed to the 100 or so in nice 3mm water or skins.

I dive a Waterproof Dry and a Waterproof Semi-dry suit (a Draco and a R-Zor). IMHO the semi-dry is probably on of the best semi-dry (or semi-humid, it's the same) suits you can choose. But the most important issue with semi-dry's is how they fit on your body. The less airbubbles you leave between the neopren and your skin, the better the suit fits, the better thermal protection it will offer. Take a close look at your neck, wrists and ankles, there the neopren should be really tight. If the Scubapro Semi-Dry fits better, take it, if it's the Waterproof then take the swedish suit. Another thing, please, only metallic zippers, forget the plastic ones.
If I talk from my personal experience, while I didn't have the Dry-suit, I used the semi-dry with temperatures around 52F. If it was a single dive with good weather, and with the semi-dry suit completely dry, then it has never been a problem to stay 45-60 minutes under water. If you plan to do more than one dive in the same a day, or single dive's but on consecutive days with no time for the neopren to eliminate the moist, than I would consider seriously to get a real "Dry-Suit".

I hope it helps!
Hidroj

i don't jhave their semi-dry, but apparently the only main difference is the addition of a dry zipper ... their 5mm is great and keeps me warm in 55-65 degree water. and if cold is still an issue their artci vest, which is basically a hooded shorty that goes over is supposedly great at keeping you that much warmer

I dive one of their 5mm suits, and am thrilled with it. Like you I have bought my last Henderson suit now that these are on the market. There are 20 men's sizes and 18 women's sizes. We have found a few people that did not fit into these suits, but most will. I can't recommend the suit enough, but it does have to fit right, or you will not be happy with it.

How much are you paying for new semi-dry's? You may not realize, but you can probably get into a cheap (low end) drysuit for about the same, or not much more. You can also probably get into a used (but higher end) dry suit. Something to consider, especially at those temps. You'll find you dive a lot more even when the water is cold with a drysuit, because cold is no longer the issue it once was. This is especially true for those who claim to be WWWs.

If you are determined to get a semi-dry, I would look at Xcel's. I've heard good things about Waterproof, but they don't have as much history as Xcel. Their 8-7-6-5 and 9-7-6 semidrys are fantastic, and if I ever buy another thick wetsuit, it'll be one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom