Conshelf 21s vs Conshelf SE2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike baz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Based on recommendations I read on this board I went out and bought two sets of used regulators
A Conshelf 21s (rated for cold) and a Conshelf SE2 (seems highly rated by members)
They both seem in great shape, externally at least, and both have spent the last decade in their respective owners storage. Both owners were meticulous seasoned divers.
My question, since I only have the funds to service one set or the other, which should I service? And why?
Use will be mostly diving in Caribbean.
Thanks ahead to any responders.

I dropped the regs off at my LDS and the tech will call me back with his price to service them.
Are you recommending I service them myself?

Those 2 regulators are almost identical and use the same service kits. The only difference is that the SE2 has 1 LP port that is 1/2" not the standard 3/8". The idea was to use it for your primary to supply more air than the 3/8" ports, but it really doesn't make that much of a difference in air delivery for recreational use. It is a problem finding a replacement hose with a 1/2" end on it but you can get a small adapter that converts the port to 3/8" whenever you decide it's time to replace that hose.

The Conshelf 21s seems to have a cold weather modification according to the clerk. Other than the soft rubber seal on the first stage, there appears to be no visible exterior difference. Do you recommend I rebuild the cold weather first stage or the regular first stage?

oh yeah and that oversized 1/2 inch port as you mentioned
clerk could not make heads or tails as to why that was there

oh yeah and that oversized 1/2 inch port as you mentioned
clerk could not make heads or tails as to why that was there

At the time it was considered a feature. One can move more air through a bigger opening, even if it's not actually needed.

This thread should be moved to Regulators. @mike baz, you can have the Mods move the thread by clicking on report and asking. You will get more responses there.

The cold water add on makes the regulator a "Supreme" model. Under that rubber cover is about 1 oz of liquid silicone. It's a pain in the neck to service and fill because of the liquid. Unless you are doing ice diving, you don't need it. The good news is that you can replace that cap with any Conshelf cap (like the one on the SE2) if you want to swap them.

Back
Top Bottom