Conshelf 20 Port Orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjjjeremy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a Conshelf 20 laying around, and I noticed something strange with the ports on the first stage. It has four ports, but they're oriented in the opposite way I'd expect.

With the knob away from me it's HP LP LP LP going clockwise. I expect the port sequence to be the other way, so the knob is on the "back" side of the tank when mounted. Am I making sense?

My Conshelf 22 is out for service, and my modern AL first stage has five equidistant ports, so I really have nothing to compare to. I have a Mares and Sherwood with 6 equidistant ports, so they don't help. My 5 port Sherwood (on a hexagonal body) as the HP at port 2 or 4 depending on the orientation, so that doesn't help either!

Am I doing something wrong when I set up my regs? I've always thought that the first stage knob went away from the diver's head.

Thanks!

I have no clue what you are talking about..the ports are radially around the reg so reguardless of which way you orient it, they are in the same order. Where the ports end up (HP - down, up or sideways) is up to you

The 20 has exactly the same ports as the 14.

It is different than the 21 and 22.....if you keep the standard setup of regs on right and gauges on left you will have to have the HP hose above the BC hose.....works fine, just not as neat as later Conshelfs.

The Conshelf family of regulators was introduced (in the 1960’s) long before the common use of the octopus or the LP inflator hose.

The early US Diver’s inflator hose (from the 1970’s) was designed to route under the right arm and attach to the horse collar in the bottom right of the BC.

In many of the early octopus routing configuration, the alternate second was routed under the left arm so that air sharing can be done with the two divers swimming side-by-side. Even in the face to face position, the “right hand alternate second” under the left arm of the donating divers works well for the receiving diver (the regulator is right side up).

The later Conshelf’s port location have been relocated to fit better with the latest “standard hose routing”, but they can all be made to work… just not a clean.

Note: the internals of all the Conshelf are basically the same.

BTW: the knob has always been intended to go on the back side of the valve, with the valve opening facing the diver.

Last edited:
The Conshelf family of regulators was introduced (in the 1960’s) long before the common use of the octopus or the LP inflator hose.

The early US Diver’s inflator hose (from the 1970’s) was designed to route under the right arm and attach to the horse collar in the bottom right of the BC.

In many of the early octopus routing configuration, the alternate second was routed under the left arm so that air sharing can be done with the two divers swimming side-by-side. Even in the face to face position, the “right hand alternate second” under the left arm of the donating divers works well for the receiving diver (the regulator is right side up).

The later Conshelf’s port location have been relocated to fit better with the latest “standard hose routing”, but they can all be made to work… just not a clean.

Note: the internals of all the Conshelf are basically the same.

BTW: the knob has always been intended to go on the back side of the valve, with the valve opening facing the diver.

That makes a bit more sense then. I'm still confused as to why the HP port is located so the gauge comes under the right arm. Is that just how it was done? If the Inflator hose attached to the BCD under the right arm, shouldn't there be an LP port there?
y9aja4an.jpg

The HP port is the leftmost in this photo.

Anyway, if I ever dive with this reg I think I'd just do it with the cylinder turned around which seems to be the cleanest and simplest setup.

.........if you don't want to mess with a different configuration put the hoses as I suggested in my first post.
Turn the 1st stage the other way up.
Top right primary.
Bottom right octo.
Top left HP hose.
Bottom left BC hose.
.........the BC and HP hoses will cross but at least they won't be arching over your head as it is now and everything will be in a familiar location.

Ohh, and then have the hoses facing down. I get it.

---------- Post added July 27th, 2013 at 10:51 AM ----------

Or I COULD get a hoseless computer and integrated octo.......

Like Fishpie says, the HP port to the left.
The primary to the right on the port opposite to the HP port.
The other two port point downwards. You can then put the octopus on the right bottom which is now the typical configuration.
For the inflator you can use a flexible hose from the left bottom port. You could also add an elbow.

The same exact discussion is going on on this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...elf-12-first-stage-hose-routing-question.html

Back
Top Bottom