Connecting transmitter pod to 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonnyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any downside to using a small hose to attach a Suunto pod to my 1st stage?
I'm trying to prevent damage if someone lifts my gear by the yolk and pod on a dive boat.
Thanks

Attachments

• Suunto pod with miflex hose.jpg
    Suunto pod with miflex hose.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 342
Is there any downside to using a small hose to attach a Suunto pod to my 1st stage?
I'm trying to prevent damage if someone lifts my gear by the yolk and pod on a dive boat.
Thanks

No, not really, although this being SB, some will have (strong) opinions as to why not.

I have a 6" hose on all my and my wife's reg sets (approx 10 sets) for the very reason you suggest, and or to prevent damage if the kit is knocked etc

We additionally have a QD (quick disconnect) between the hose and Transmitter (tx)

This allows the convenience of being easily able to swap tx between reg sets as required, or diving the reg set without tx installed (for instance if I'm confined water teaching I don't need my tx fitted and using its battery)

For air travel we prefer to keep our tx with the computers and regs in the dive bags

Having the tx further away reduce signal drop outs on some brands

Some will argue that there is an addition failure point with the addition O ring. I find that risk negligible
Depending on your diving the tx protruding out further may present a risk of entanglement.

One should weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is best for you personally

No, not really, although this being SB, some will have (strong) opinions as to why not.

I have a 6" hose on all my and my wife's reg sets (approx 10 sets) for the very reason you suggest, and or to prevent damage if the kit is knocked etc

We additionally have a QD (quick disconnect) between the hose and Transmitter (tx)

This allows the convenience of being easily able to swap tx between reg sets as required, or diving the reg set without tx installed (for instance if I'm confined water teaching I don't need my tx fitted and using its battery)

For air travel we prefer to keep our tx with the computers and regs in the dive bags

Having the tx further away reduce signal drop outs on some brands

Some will argue that there is an addition failure point with the addition O ring. I find that risk negligible
Depending on your diving the tx protruding out further may present a risk of entanglement.

One should weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is best for you personally
Thanks DD. Do you have a spec for the QD?

Thanks DD. Do you have a spec for the QD?

I used the Scuba pro HP Quick connector (example)

Suunto also make one, however I find it a bit bulky and heavy for my tastes

These are just quick searches and I posted the first link I found so you knew what you were looking for - rather than being suggested suppliers.

I used the Scuba pro HP Quick connector (example)

Suunto also make one, however I find it a bit bulky and heavy for my tastes

These are just quick searches and I posted the first link I found so you knew what you were looking for - rather than being suggested suppliers.
Thanks - I agree the Suunto is a bit bulky. The Scubapro looks more compact. Thanks again

Thanks - I agree the Suunto is a bit bulky. The Scubapro looks more compact. Thanks again

Just noticed you're in AD

Contact Stevie McLeod, the Technical/Service manager at AL Boom Diving, on the Al Wasl road. He'll have them or will get them

It's just a matter of personal preference and perceived / imagined risks. Not a big deal either way.

I pulled my SPG off its hose and put my transmitter right on the end of the hose in its place with the little swivel spindle thingy in between the two. I still clip the hose to my left chest D-Ring as before. I put the little rubber hose cap on the removed SPG and keep it in my reg bag.

[QUOTE="CaveSloth, post: 8863458, member: 496413" the little swivel spindle thingy in between the two. [/QUOTE]

Its called an HP Spool

Good point

@JonnyDiver198 - IF you're using Suunto Pods (Eon or D5) You should have a choice of restrictors - one a Top hat if putting the Tx on the first stage, the other an HP spool for using on a hose. Make sure you put one on.

I have always personally used an HP spool between my TX and hose, because it gives an additional protection against leaks esp if the TX O ring gets damaged

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom