Connect Ultralight arms to Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my questions on cameras and housings. I have decided I will proceed with an Ikelite housing. I currently use Ultralight (ULCS) arms and an Inon Z240 strobe. Several items I have not been able to determine:

1. What adapter do I need to connect the ultralight arms to the Ikelite housing? I believe the ultralight arms use a 1.25" ball. Is this correct? If so, then either the Releaser Handle Ball (9577.3) or Extended Handle Ball (9577.33) should work with the ultralight arms. If not, what would I use to connect the Ultralight arms?

2. What cable is required to connect the Ikelite circuitry to the Inon Z240 strobe? It appears to be the Ikelite Sync Cord to Connect Sea & Sea strobes (4118.1). Is this correct?

I ask because I seem to always get different answers when I speak stores on the phone.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi,

This page from Ikelite should have all the information you need, I think.

Strobe Arm Systems

Scroll down to the part called 'Strobe Arm Component Parts' and you have pictures and descriptions of all the parts. I have an Ikelite housing for a Canon G9 and connect to ultralight clamps/arms using part 'B'

SAcomponents.jpg

For point 2, I believe if you connect an Inon strobe to an Ikelite housing via the bulkhead, you can only use it in manual mode. I use the fibre optic cable method and it works perfectly. Less chance of flooding too.

Hi,

This page from Ikelite should have all the information you need, I think.

Strobe Arm Systems

Scroll down to the part called 'Strobe Arm Component Parts' and you have pictures and descriptions of all the parts. I have an Ikelite housing for a Canon G9 and connect to ultralight clamps/arms using part 'B'

SAcomponents.jpg

Which component do or ball size do you use - 1", 1.1" or 1.5"? I had believed it was 1.5" as I also have an older Sea and Sea arms and the ball is smaller than the ULCS.

For point 2, I believe if you connect an Inon strobe to an Ikelite housing via the bulkhead, you can only use it in manual mode. I use the fibre optic cable method and it works perfectly. Less chance of flooding too.

How do you connect the fiber optic cable to the Ikelite housing? I know how fiber optic cable connects to the Canon housing but not sure of the Ikelite housing.

Thanks

I believe the ULCS arms have a 1 inch ball. Only Ikelite produce a 1.25 inch ball which they use for the big heavy DS200 strobes.

You are correct ULCS is 1". Found it on their website. Ikelite does offer a 1" ball as well as the 1.5"

Thanks

Sounds like you have your balls sorted. For connecting the fibre optic, it should simply stick to the front of the housing in front of the flash, which it 'mimics'. As Ikelite housings are made of clear plastic, this system generally works fine - as long as the set-up allows you to see the flash through the housing of course.

... I have decided I will proceed with an Ikelite housing. I currently use Ultralight (ULCS) arms and an Inon Z240 strobe. Several items I have not been able to determine: ...

[Deleted]

2. What cable is required to connect the Ikelite circuitry to the Inon Z240 strobe? It appears to be the Ikelite Sync Cord to Connect Sea & Sea strobes (4118.1). Is this correct?

I have an Ikelite housing with a Canon G11 and have just bought two Z240 Type 4 Strobes. I'd be keen to know what you went with in the end, eg optical connection, the Ikelite 4118.1/2 cable or something else?

Most if not all my best flash shots have been taken on manual, so I'm not too bothered about loosing TTL. It would be nice however if I could change the strobe power setting from the camera as well as via the strobe dials but I would imaging that if you loose TTL with this cable you also loose remote flash power control in manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom