Congratulations SDI instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if there will be THAT much difference between the ONLINE based approach and the video/cd-rom version from a students perspective. At least it will be more interactive than the video.

Maybe more time will be placed on the skills portion....

There must be some confusion. I can't believe this isn't PADI, altho I'm glad it's not...imagine THAT fire storm.

I like the following excerpts:
each student is presented with learning materials that feature scuba equipment carried by their local dive shop

and

"even SDI stores that don't have a web site will get paid commission for training students sent to them by way of the online training program."

norcaldiver once bubbled...
There must be some confusion. I can't believe this isn't PADI, altho I'm glad it's not...imagine THAT fire storm.

I like the following excerpts:
each student is presented with learning materials that feature scuba equipment carried by their local dive shop

and

"even SDI stores that don't have a web site will get paid commission for training students sent to them by way of the online training program."

I hate to say this,but thought PADI would have done this 3 years ago.I believe it was a projet of theirs and of course DSAT.

I send students home with a video or CD Rom now but still have to check it.If the results were submitted to me via email from and automated system it would be great.

BTW: I have tryed out the online scuba testing but in way of
learning optics from Dive Optics. It does work !

Ron

I expect student to have completed the reading before they come to class. When they get there I can give em the reat stuff that isn't in the book. They can't do that online if they can't even get it into the book LOL.

I don't think I'd even fill a tank for some one with a SDI card.
What the hell if an SDI student can finish a course solo, why not start it solo?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I expect student to have completed the reading before they come to class. When they get there I can give em the reat stuff that isn't in the book. They can't do that online if they can't even get it into the book LOL.

I don't think I'd even fill a tank for some one with a SDI card.
What the hell if an SDI student can finish a course solo, why not start it solo?

Yes Mike ,I forgot to indicate about talking to students about the real stuff.PADI work done,now time for the real life experience stuff . Online could be one hell of a shortcut and timesaver.

I am sure the gang at SDI are working on a personal fill kit to assist the solo divers .

Ron

I assume that SDI certification through this method allows the new diver to dive "virtually" anywhere in the world... bot not actually get wet.

Seriously, this is a direction education in many areas is taking. There are some valid reasons to try this approach as stated in the news story. I hope the pool and ocean certification segments are sufficiently rigorous to ensure newly-certiufied divers are capable of real world diving.

Dr. Bill

Otter once bubbled...
I wonder if there will be THAT much difference between the ONLINE based approach and the video/cd-rom version from a students perspective.

This is the only reason it doesn't bother me.

I don't think I'd even fill a tank for some one with a SDI card

Mike, I'm terribly sorry you feel this way.

Now you are mixing apples and oranges. The online course is for OW. The solo cert is something totally different.

We both know you can require students to come to class prepared. Meaning you can tell them to read the book etc...

What is the percentage of students who actually do?

I don't see anything wrong with putting academics on the net. Come on... you can get a Masters degree on the internet now. Its accredited, and its appected in the business world.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...

Mike, I'm terribly sorry you feel this way.

Now you are mixing apples and oranges. The online course is for OW. The solo cert is something totally different.

We both know you can require students to come to class prepared. Meaning you can tell them to read the book etc...

What is the percentage of students who actually do?

I don't see anything wrong with putting academics on the net. Come on... you can get a Masters degree on the internet now. Its accredited, and its appected in the business world.

TwoBit

IMO, There's nothing wrong with doing homework on the net as long as it isn't use as an excuse to do away with class time.

I have the same gripe about offline courses. All many instructors do is grade the tests. As far as I'm concerned if the student isn't going to benefit from the instructors experience you might as well have a machine do it.

Personally, I won't do inwater training with and certainly won't certify a student until we've had some class time. I don't care who the agency is.

Back
Top Bottom