Confusion with Tek3 Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a set of Tek3 1st stage regulators for my doubles coupled with S600 2nd stages. A couple years ago when I got them from a friend (they were 2yrs old at the time), I decided to service both of them (I am our shop's repair tech). Service intervals is 2 yrs on them. I know on the right post reg I very slightly etched the HP orifice. I would get ever so slightly a leak & IP creep over time. I put up with having to change out the HP seat every few months for about 1-1/2yrs . I finally got a new regulator body for it & it works flawlessly. I am currently in FL cave diving. The other day my left post starts leaking form the 1st stage, it had been working great until now. That night I took it apart, looked at it, saw nothing obvious. I replaced the seat with a new one, reassembled the HP portion, covered the ports,filled with water (you can relieve the pressure by using the transfer pin) & energized,... Leak....:mad: So next I take out a full kit & replace both the seat & the stem O-ring & other parts (full service), I again, reassembled the HP portion, filled with water..... leak:(. Since I have used 2 new seats & the stem O-ring,.... this almost tells me that it has to be the orifice, since there is nothing else in the HP section other than the seat, orifice, Spring & O-ring that controls pressure. Every thing looks great, visually. I disassembled & reassembled the reg 2-3 times with the same result. Looking like I may have to look at a new body. Anyone have any idea why this previously excellent working reg is acting up like this? I have not touched the left reg since it was last serviced. Last time I dove it was mid Jan. cave diving & it was fine. The right reg was acting up as usual, but I replaced it shortly afterwards. I'm totally confused. Good thing is I still have my MK25's so diving goes on.

I assume from your post that unlike the FSR the orifice/crown on the TEKs cannot be replaced? Have you inspected it closely with a magnifying glass to check for damage? Assuming the orifice/crown is the culprit and it cannot be replaced or re dressed then I'm guessing a new body you will need. Bummer. Good luck.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2014 at 04:58 AM ----------

Seems strange if it is the crown as these are usually damaged during service so cannot understand why you now have an issue and previously you didn't.

The crowns can not be removed they are a machined part of the body. Figuring that out is how I etched the right one. The left has not been a problem for 2 yrs & then just started leaking (no, I did not get them confused). I have not touched the inside of the left since the initial servicing 2 yrs ago & suddenly it starts leaking. I have not been able to get a magnifying glass,... I'm here in the middle of Cave Country FL. My shop is about 600 mi. away. Mystery to me also. I've been servicing regs for about 4 yrs now & I have never seen anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom