Conflicting Cancun info - HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Okay - I have been researching what dive shop to use in Cancun and there are so many conflicting posts. Manta - lots of bad reviews! Aquaworld and Sol Buceo...cattle boats! Others say they are great. My husband and I are going to Cancun at the end of this month and really want to get in some good dives with a small group. We have our own equiptment - just need wts and tanks. Somebody please help me!!!! Also - where do you do cenotes diving? I am confused!

THANKS!

Good morning,
I was where you are now just about 2 months ago.
I too am going to Cancun this month (3-24 thru 3-31) and picked Myan Aqua Dive.
http://www.mayanaquadive.com/index.php

I picked them based on the fact that they are a smaller operation. (no cattle boats)
They will take no more than 8 divers per boat (4 divers per master)
They offered the package that I was looking for. We are diving Cancun, Cozumel and the Cenotes. They will work with you to set up a good dive plan for the week.

They will run their own boats in Cancun, they work with another dive boat in Cozumel, and they will do the Cenote trip from Cancun. Go to their web site and read thru what they have to offer.

From what I understand , the owner Ben spent the past few years working for one of the other good dive operators in Cancun before going out on his own. Ben has been very easy to get in touch with and has answered all of my questions in a timely manner.
I can't wait to be down there ,
Jim Breslin

First of all, Welcome to the board! A wealth of information and opinions here. You are the final decision maker for how and where you dive.

I agree with Jim. Ben's operation is very new, but only as a dive op. Ben has plenty of experience and treats customers as he himself would want to be treated. Most people want to dive with all the well established shops and are hesitant to try a new operator. Nothing wrong with that, however, sometimes the best isn't always the well established operators.

I've known Ben since he was instructor at the other well known and established shop. Ben was also my instructor three years ago, and it took some doing to track him down last August, to train my son. He will always get my business for everything.

Yeah, he's my friend, but if he wasn't an excellent instructor, diver and now owner, he wouldn't be getting my business. He runs a tight operation and fast boats. I've already scheduled my whale shark snorkeling trip with him for my family, 6 of us, plus my son & daughter for certifications, my Coz & cenote trips.

My advice is to give him a try. If you don't find him to be a top-notch dive shop, then try a different one. But I can guarantee that you will be treated very well and will not be taken to the dead zone (Chitales Reef, where most of the major Ops will drop you) or any other less than optimal sites.

My $.02

Jack

Before our trip to Cancun, a couple years ago, I did my research to find the best op. I finally went with Scuba Cancun, because I simply couldn't find anything bad about them. We were not disappointed.

Scuba Cancun also does day trips to Cozumel as well as the Cenotes.

Have a great trip!

Another vote for Ben & Mayan Aqua Dive. We are not experienced divers, and I was a bit nervous about getting back out there, but our dive off Cancun consisted of the 2 of us with the divemaster, and another lady on a resort dive, with her own divemaster. The second dive, Cozumel, we had one more person with us, and 2 divemasters. We didn't go to standard sites, we went to the right site for our abilities and needs. I think that's key. All the staff was professional, kind, fun, and helpful. Ben is great. Email him, and he'll get back to you quickly. He's great. Have a great trip, I can't wait to go back!

And another vote for Ben & Mayan Aqua Dive. We dove with him in late February(about 3 weeks ago). His shop is new which almost steered us away. We were so happy that we went through Ben. He runs a very safe and fun operation with small numbers to each DM. If you need gear, he also has all brand new equipment from MAres.

Don't consider AquaWorld. They are a cattle boats and not as safe as I would want.

When we get back to Cancun(which we do at least every year for a conference), we will not even consider going through anyone else!!!

fyi... We are fairly new divers (AOW cert, 25 logged to date with most of them in cold water in Seattle)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom