Confined Space Entry Permit ??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lone Frogman

Amphibious
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm a swimming pool contractor. I have a project that is requiring me to enter the surge tank on a commercial pool. On a commercial pool a surge tank is located between the pool and the circulation pump. The surge tank is full of water the valves in the tank have failed and will not close so there is no way to isolated the surge tank from the pool. The work that is being done in the pump room can not be done until the water from the surge tank can be isolated from the pool. The college that I'm working at is requiring me to have a " Confined Space Entry Permit ". What I'm looking for is an OSHA approved training class in that includes entering a confined space full of water (clean and clear water). Or some facts to dispute the need for a confined space entry permit.

I'm not a commercial diver, but I'm in the engineering/construction industry and have some basic training on OSHA and confined space entry. If I'm interpreting what I've read correctly, OSHA has separate standards that relate to diving that would seem to apply in your case. Unless Georgia has its own version of OSHA (I don't think it does), it seems like you shouldn't need a confined space entry for underwater work... I found a link that has some good information on OSHA's requirements for commercial diving operations, which you may be able to use to provide a response as to why you don't really need a confined space entry permit for this job, since other standards apply. I can't see a typical confined space entry course being of any value to you while you're on SCUBA or surface-supplied air. Hope this helps a little - and if you don't mind keeping us posted, I'm interested in hearing what the outcome is on this. thanks.

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/Directive_pdf/CPL_02-00-151.pdf

---------- Post added November 21st, 2013 at 05:23 PM ----------

This document states that confined space rules do not apply to diving, and may be helpful:

http://www.cafnwin.org/files/1913/6871/9697/OSHAConfinedSpacesConstruction1.pdf

There is online training from Falk Alford. Cost is about $30 time is about 40 minutes. They are geared towards oil rig training but the confined space course is pretty generic. You get a pdf download of your diploma immediately.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You could just put a pig in the pipe between the pool and the surge tank so you never have to enter the tank.

Back
Top Bottom