Configuration for deco tank regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is inspired partly by @kurisuji 's thread and @Boston Breakwater's photos, and by some challenges I've had with deploying my deco regulators cleanly.

What's the best/optimal/accepted way to orient deco bottles and their regulators?
  • Do the first stages go on top, on bottom, or on the side?
  • Which direction should the rigging face relative to the valve face opening?
  • Should the 2nd stage's hose lay on the tank's top or bottom?
  • Should the 2nd stage's hose face "up" toward the diver's body or "down" toward the open water?
  • Do the orientations flip for R-rich/L-lean configuration?
  • Is using mirrored valves (akin to SM diving) better than using standard right-hand valves when using R-rich/L-lean configuration?
  • Is bungeeing-in deco bottles (akin to SM) so they're more streamlined an accepted practice?

@stretchthepenn

My opinions
    • Not down. Traditionally the clips are supposed to be under the valve outlet so the bottles end up with first stage up or slightly sideways
    • should be immediately under the valve outlet
    • next to the line on the rigging
    • no
  • Is using mirrored valves (akin to SM diving) better than using standard right-hand valves when using R-rich/L-lean configuration?
    • Not many people use that configuration since it has some other issues, but if you are going to use it, then yes the lefty valves are better
  • Is bungeeing-in deco bottles (akin to SM) so they're more streamlined an accepted practice?
    • yes and one that needs to take off with the DIR community. There are several threads where I've posted pictures of the best way to rig the bungees for it.

@stretchthepenn
    • next to the line on the rigging
Allow me to rephrase this question.

When the deco bottle is clipped on and the diver is in horizontal position, should the 2nd stage's hoses face "up" toward the diver's body or face "down" toward the open water?

• Not many people use that configuration since it has some other issues, but if you are going to use it, then yes the lefty valves are better
Could you elaborate? Specifically, what are the other issues you're referring to? And is using a "backward" valve on the diver's left side optimal, just as with normal SM?

Allow me to rephrase this question.

When the deco bottle is clipped on and the diver is in horizontal position, should the 2nd stage's hoses face "up" toward the diver's body or face "down" toward the open water?

Could you elaborate? Specifically, what are the other issues you're referring to? And is using a "backward" valve on the diver's left side optimal, just as with normal SM?

2nd stages hoses are immediately next to the line going between the two attachment clips. That should be facing the diver, but think "in" not "up". It should not be down. Down means snag hazard. Picture below shows where the rigging is in relation to the valve outlet, and the one next to it shows how the hoses are routed.

stagekit_mounted_large.jpg
rigged_40_large.jpg

Bottles on the right require a D-ring on the right hip which impedes ability to put a canister light in the "traditional" position. The bottle itself makes deployment of the long hose functionally impossible since you would have to unclip the upper attachment point to free the long hose, and also is prone to getting caught in the prop wash of a DPV. If you have a loop bungee and pull the bottle up to a sidemounted position *which IMO you should*, then it fixes the DPV prop wash issue, but you can't get around the long hose deployment conundrum.

This video gives some good perspective. Cheers.

This question is inspired partly by @kurisuji 's thread and @Boston Breakwater's photos, and by some challenges I've had with deploying my deco regulators cleanly.

What's the best/optimal/accepted way to orient deco bottles and their regulators?
  • Should the 2nd stage's hose face "up" toward the diver's body or "down" toward the open water?
Hey @stretchthepenn How are you?
Firstly, a little history. The first day in the shop for my P.A.D.I. Open water certification, the instructor went over the gear, and setup.
Immediately, having the regulators both on the right-side struck me as odd? (Knowing, really nothing about S.C.U.B.A. gear.)
It also seemed congested. I could not mentally get used to it. Although, it did not affect my performance, or skills, and was called a "Natural." at the end of the course.
The day after my certification, I gave my "Octopus." away. (I do not use that term.)
I bought another Second stage of equal performance,and had it switched to a left-handed configuration. My first dive with it was very comfortable.
2 months after, I was certified, I bought my first tanks. U.S. Divers Double 80's
I know, I know....2 months into it.... diving doubles...crazy right?
One regulator coming from each side seemed even more natural.
The following year, I began doing decompression dives on air "Informal training." with "Independent Doubles."
I dove "Indies." off, and on for 15 years.
If, you look at the photo of my "Primary Rig." you'll notice a Second stage coming of both shoulders. My deco bottles having a left-handed, and right-hand valve is a direct result of my "Indies" experience.
Your "Solo Diving." Decompression Bottles(s) Setup?
It's just something, I've done, almost since day one.
Cheers.:cheers:

My setup is similar to @tbone1004 I copied my cave instructor with only minor changes due to my sidemount configuration vs his backmount, and I like butterfly snaps for blind stuff like this. The bottom snap has been moved to a more central position with the leash shortened a tad. I have a normal SPG that will probably replace the button gauge at some point.

But this stays streamlined enough that I can enter most caves without scraping, including both the eye and the ear at Ginnie. But it might not be the best configuration for OW as I am only wearing it for the first few minutes of a dive, and the last 10-15 minutes.

20200617_162025.jpg

2nd stages hoses are immediately next to the line going between the two attachment clips. That should be facing the diver, but think "in" not "up". It should not be down. Down means snag hazard. Picture below shows where the rigging is in relation to the valve outlet, and the one next to it shows how the hoses are routed.

View attachment 616460 View attachment 616461

Bottles on the right require a D-ring on the right hip which impedes ability to put a canister light in the "traditional" position. The bottle itself makes deployment of the long hose functionally impossible since you would have to unclip the upper attachment point to free the long hose, and also is prone to getting caught in the prop wash of a DPV. If you have a loop bungee and pull the bottle up to a sidemounted position *which IMO you should*, then it fixes the DPV prop wash issue, but you can't get around the long hose deployment conundrum.

My setup is similar to @tbone1004 I copied my cave instructor with only minor changes due to my sidemount configuration vs his backmount, and I like butterfly snaps for blind stuff like this. The bottom snap has been moved to a more central position with the leash shortened a tad. I have a normal SPG that will probably replace the button gauge at some point.

But this stays streamlined enough that I can enter most caves without scraping, including both the eye and the ear at Ginnie. But it might not be the best configuration for OW as I am only wearing it for the first few minutes of a dive, and the last 10-15 minutes.

View attachment 617703

I set mine up as per Tbone above, with the 2nd stage, even maybe ever so slightly lower. This means it is out of the way of the valve area which gives access and also does not create a big bulky area. This also allows me to tuck it neatly under the hose.

I also use 3 bungees like Manatee, the top usually just secures the gauge (whilst securing the hose at the same time, but it is there for the gauge as I have a short hose on mine and it is not bent up). And then the other 2 further down. I just use Bungee cord though.

I try to be anal about the 'neatness' of it, and line my hoses up nice and neat like Tbone, and not so much as per your pic Manatee. Just the way I like to do it, to have it nice and neat and out of the way.

And then where I am from we do not use that handle between the two rigging points. Bungee with a clip around the valve, and a tank band around the bottom with a string and clip through.

Will try take a pic later/just now and post.

Very interesting to see everyones methods and tweaks :)

I have been moving towards SM on my CCR, and added a third cylinder recently for practice, with traditional DIR rigging, the amount of slack was "disturbing" having gone down the SM route, so re-rigging my stages and deco bottles with bungee for the top clip around the cylinder valve and adjustable bungee/boltsnap through a clamp for the lower attachment in line with Steve Martin's videos on the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom