Conditions in La Jolla / San Diego ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be traveling out to San Diego next week with the family and plan on diving. Not sure if I should be cheap and stick to shore diving off La Jolla or spring the extra money for a boat trip or 2. I appreciate any advice on planning.

How is the local visibility and conditions this year?

Are the kelp beds off Pt Loma significantly better than the shore diving?

An issues with parking at La Jolla Shores?

Thanks!

I dove off the lois ann last sunday and the conditions were great. Dived horsehead reef and NRAD. The locals have said that the conditions at la jolla shores and the cove have been really good. You might what to post under power scuba that is a local dive group.

I did a shore dive last night at La Jolla Shores -- just north of Vallecitos Point. Surf: 2 footers. Surge: a little. Vis shallower than 50 fsw: 5 ft. Vis deeper than 65 fsw: 15 ft. Water temp at surface: 68°F. Water temp at 70 fsw: 53°F.

Compared to past years, vis and overall diving conditions have been pretty crappy here in San Diego this year. More recently, conditions have been better. Hopefully, vis will be nice when you're here.

Yes, you will encounter problems finding parking at La Jolla Shores in the summertime (particularly on the weekend). Drop off your gear at the corner of Vallecitos and Camino del Oro...and then park elsewhere. Sometimes I have to park a 10 min. walk away. Power Scuba is an active Meetup.com Group that may have a dive planned during your stay. It might also be worthwhile to join the Divebums.com email list to solicit local dive buddies and get daily dive reports.

If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend signing up for a boat dive in the Point Loma Kelp beds. There's a lot more life there (especially colorful nudibranchs) than at the Shores. La Jolla Cove can be amazing on a good day...but conditions can be hit or miss there. I've had dives where we've seen giant sea bass, topes, and harbor seals on the same dive. Recently some divers have been running into a sevengill shark there. Maybe it's the same shark(s) that are hanging out at the Lazy Daze (site in Point Loma Kelp beds). :D

Bring your snorkeling equipment to watch the leopard shark show at the Marine Room.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. I found a boat (Lois Ann) via Power Scuba for $52 (3 dives). For that price, it is an easy call to spring the extra $$$. I will still try the shores since I have not been there since '79.

Thanks again,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom