Conch Republic Divers - IslaMorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wanted to give some feedback on Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier (IslaMorada).

Gary and Brenda are lovely warm people, they invited all divers down for Thanksgiving to their home for a Turkey feast.. lots of great conversation and laughs.

The Diving at Islamorada was great, Avg daily vis was about 50 feet, several amazing wrecks exist about 6-8 miles offshore. The Eagle, Duane, Spiegel Grove, were all top quality dives with possibility for penetration for those who are qualified. The reefs were mostly shallow 20-30 feet with a good amount of small to moderate schooling fish, and a good variety of species of fish and coral.

PRO's about CRD: Knowledgable and experienced staff - Most instructors are also boat captains. Great people, very welcoming and personable. Experience in both rec and tec diving (includes Rebreather). High Quality Rental Gear that is well maintained. Steel and Aluminum tanks, Pony tanks, and custom gas mixes were all available. Discounts if you bring your own tanks. Very Reasonable Prices based on other operations. Two boats available, larger one is better in seas above 4ft, but requires 8 people for them to take it out. Ice Water provided on board, coolers for diver's own drinks and food provided.

CON's about CRD (these are minor): No dry towels provided on board. No orange slices provided between dives.

Conclusion: Great Dive Operation with a solid reputation and history. I would gladly go back and use them again.

Regards,
David

Honestly who provides towels on a day trip boat? I have not been on ANY boat in Florida with dry towels provided and I do hundreds of dives a year in Florida. Other than a liveaboard, I have not gone with a day boat that has given a dry towel. I agree with your assessment on how great CRD is. If you know of any day boat operators that give you dry towels I would love to know so I can go out with them.

Thank you, David, for a great report. I agree, CRD rocks!

I also totally agree with Muggsy. In fact, why should they do that? Everyone brings their own towel. I've been using SoFla charter boats since 1980 and have never seen a charter operator provide towels. I'd rather they focus their energies on what is important: a great, safe trip, well-maintained gear and boat; well-trained staff; and filling tanks between dives. Why should they be doing laundry between trips?

I never expect fresh fruit from a dive op either. If they provide it, great, but it wouldn't even occur to me to miss it if they didn't.

You are highly unlikely to ever see dry towels provided on a dive charter, at least in South FL - bring your own; not that hard

Many of the Palm Beach dive boats provide snacks; Jupiter Dive Center has pretzels and cookies' - I have been out when an individual DM has brought fruit, but again its not the norm.

You are entitiled to your opinions and can rate dive operators and boats any way you wish - however, I think as its certainly not the norm to provide these items, not providing them should not be a bad mark against them

I've dove with Conch Republic and think they are a great operator and continue to recommend them.

I'm thinking Dave was just making jokes there about the towels and fruit. I know he had a great time cuz we dove together and all he had to say was good stuff the entire time.

Wether joking or not... How cool would a warm, fresh water towel feel after a dive?

Am I suggesting Gary and Brenda offer that, NO.. But, how cool would that feel?... As close to a "newbie cruise" without going there, as one can get?...

Admiral... is there a provisional cost we can offer you for this service? Perhaps, provided by a 20-something single female (one who dives, of course... please, don't alert Kbeck :D )?...

Oooh, and fruit... can some of us be hand-fed fruit by the by the same said crew members? OK, I know Gary is needed to train them, but it is a small price to pay... (ok, in my opinion, you might have another opinion, Brenda)... :rofl3:
----

Please, please, please... take this in the spirit it was given (and, don't kick Gary out) :D

Towel? Heck we use paper towels here. I'm not aware of dive boats on this coast that provide towels either. Who has time to get dry anyway? Fruit... well the King Neptune does offer that here, but our trips are full day whereas the ones I took with CRD were half day so I didn't see the need for anything.

Gary & Brenda gave dive buddy Andrea and I a great experience when we dove with them a few years ago. I'd certainly choose to dive with them again if I ever get myself back in their neck of the woods.

Dang Dry towels they should warmed! and a fruit platter served! between and during the dives -I got to move to New York!:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom