Conch in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I was down at the beach a few weekends ago, and I overheard some divers talking about a trip to Cozumel, and some of the conch shells they brought back with them. I know there are a lot of places to get it to eat, but what are the laws on getting them as trophies? I had figured - like most places - that it was not allowed, but does anyone know specifics? Also, if it is edible and enjoyable, can you catch your own and cook it or anything like that?

Conch can be taken on Coz, just not from within the boundaries of the marine park.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Conch can be taken on Coz, just not from within the boundaries of the marine park.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I'll just add that nearly all of the regularly visited dive sites are within its boundries, and that conch shells are readily available for sale on Cozumel.

HaoleDiver:
I was down at the beach a few weekends ago, and I overheard some divers talking about a trip to Cozumel, and some of the conch shells they brought back with them. I know there are a lot of places to get it to eat, but what are the laws on getting them as trophies? I had figured - like most places - that it was not allowed, but does anyone know specifics? Also, if it is edible and enjoyable, can you catch your own and cook it or anything like that?
Being divers we should all know better than to take anything from the Ocean floor. Whether there is a live Conch or just an empty shell, look at it but leave it where you found it so the next person that comes along has something to look at.

We have a good deal of experience dealing with conch in Xcalak. You can still pick up live conch snorkeling down there and there is nothing sweeter than fresh conch you've just plucked for yourself. On one trip we brought back several to put in our garden in Cozumel and learned a secret. No matter how experienced the person extracting the meat from the shell is, there is going to be some left in there. And nothing smells quite like conch that has set in the sun for a few days. Packing something like that in your suitcase could ruin your day.

JK

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/santa_fe.html
http://www.mxtravel.com/xcalak/Cielosazules/

mediakzar:
On one trip we brought back several to put in our garden in Cozumel and learned a secret. No matter how experienced the person extracting the meat from the shell is, there is going to be some left in there. And nothing smells quite like conch that has set in the sun for a few days. Packing something like that in your suitcase could ruin your day.

If there are fire ants where you live, they will clean a shell right up. Put it on top of the mound and come back in a couple of days; it will be clean as a whistle.

My last trip to Isla Mujeres I was marveling at the mountain of conch shells heaped in the boat yard. It was easily as big as a house. The bottom of the harbor was scattered with the things too.
A quick visit to the fishremen's boats should produce all the shells you could ever need & ya don't even need to get your hands dirty.
Heck, they'll even sell ya some meat, or make some ceviche for you with a day's advance notice.
Remember, the more its cooked, the more it resembles rubbery leather.
Also, the bag with the smelly stuff will be the first to be lost & show up days or weeks later.

getwet2:
Being divers we should all know better than to take anything from the Ocean floor. Whether there is a live Conch or just an empty shell, look at it but leave it where you found it so the next person that comes along has something to look at.

I agree gw, I think I'll just look for some piles already laying there and get one or two to take home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom