Computertraining.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augk

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I would like to know if anyone out there is familiar with this training institution Computer Training.com for Microsoft certified mcts,mcp,and mcsa training for certification, if so feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I am considering a career change and am thinking of training for these certifications.

thanks

Is that an actual school or just self driven training guides?

Self training guides on your computer. They have video lectures and demonstrations. Then, you simulate the computer issue using their software. There are also practice exams that mimic various industry exams (A+, CCNA, MCSA).

It can be kind of hokey at times, but overall a good product.

don't know that site. I am software developer and hold an MCP, MCAD, MCSD and MCSD .NET and one exam away from an MCDBA.

There are a lot of "boot camp" places that promise for $xxx in 2 weeks or so you can be an MCSD .NET or MCSE or some other cert. These are basically bull squeeze deals, at least if you intend to actually know how to do anything. They will drill you on rote memorization of the answers so you can pass the exams.

People who get certified this way without really knowing the material aren't going to go to work any where. They get figured out fairly quickly during the interview process. If you want to work in the field, you have to know the material & that just takes time & a LOT of work. There are no quick shortcuts.

If you are starting out from scratch, no skills or knowledge at all in writing code, you should expect to spend at least a year learning, both in classrooms and a ton of self study. Hell, when I set out to do my MCSD .NET I already had 20 years in the field, had done production work in something more than 12 languages & several operating systems & had been doing object oriented programming & design for 7 or 8 years & I spent an entire year working on C# and VB.NET to earn my certs.

I've not done the MCSE, but I think it's safe to say it's not going to be a lot quicker.

Thanks to sites issuing lots of wall toilet paper, I continue to have a job.

Then there are those who get the toilet paper to appease the inhuman resourceless people who really know nothing about any jobs out there but some how have the power to filter resumes (this sounds like what Wayward and I run into) :D

If your considering a career change, getting certs won't get you real far in the begining. If your making half way decent money for an income now, you will take a substantial pay cut for a while as you gain experience.

What do you do now??

MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CISSP, CNA, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, Linux+, C#.NET Certification Training

I definitely agree that just having certs will not make you experienced. The software I use is not a quickie learning experience. There may be better methods out there, but it was what I was given and so I use it. I came from a web/graphic design background and I learned a bunch from the TestOut curriculum.

I teach an IT Academy in a high school and we hope that a few of our kids can leave with A+ or Network+ to get a job on the Geek Squad or similar when the go off to college. Which is great for a college aged kid with no family and major bills, but for an adult it might be tough.

I have no clue about the OP's current career and thought about his career change...but I do know that you don't make very much money by relying on industry certs. But, if he hates what he's doing and has a better opportunity elsewhere by becoming certified...DO IT!

The programs I am looking to attend are approx 1 year hands on classroom setting. I am currently in the facilities arena have worked 7 yrs at lg software co and 5 more self employed business owner/partner just not working out. I have more than a general knowledge of IT infrastructure at a lg corp level I have no problems adding or removing software or hardware on a PC. currently I am seeking new employment hence considering career change. I would be entry level IT person help desk PC support ETC.. if I made the change but in the long run I think it would be better.

Well a little update I have been going to classes since September I tested for My MCTS in windows vista just finished windows server 2003 network infrastructure and Ill be testing for my MCP in three weeks I'm studying ISA 2004 to test for my MCSA before the end of March.

Thanks to all of you for your input back when I started this thread.:D
With the way the job market and economy have transpired since then I feel i made the right move their seem to tech jobs avialable even in this current economic climate.
Perhaps I could do some networking with some of you to get feuture input.
Theophilos M. Vallas - LinkedIn

Back
Top Bottom